My daughter's birthday is Christmas Eve and I am having trouble planning her party... please give opinions.

My daughter attends a private Christian preschool and has been invited to (and has attended all invited to) birthday parties for her classmates this year.

Her birthday is Christmas Eve. I have mentioned to other moms a few times having her party next weekend and no one will be able to attend... and it's not only her classmates, even family members and friends blow off her party because they have other plans around Christmas (we usually plan the party the weekend before Christmas weekend).

I am thinking of having a party for her in January. She gets confused and overwhelmed with her birthday on top of Christmas. I would do a small cake and gifts for just us... mom dad and sisters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If this were my daugher I would acknowledge at home her actual birthday and do something very special and private. Then in January, later in January, celebrate her birthday with extended family and friends. You know there will always be a few family that will want to combind her Christmas and birthday gift. So inform family that you don't want to overwhelm your child and have decided to hold off until the new year. Have a birthday breakfast on her actual birthday - make it a theme. Princess pancakes, fairy dust for sugar...something fun just for her and your in house family. At breakfast sing happy birthday and tell stories of her being a baby. Give her her birthday gift early so that she doesn't get it confused with the other holiday gifts. Later at dinner a small cake as another special acknowledgement. Then in Juanuary, go all out.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my bestfriends birthday is the day after christmas. so her mom always had her party on her 1/2 birthday..its in the summer so there is more for kids to do...other then stay inside...worked great.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would just do our gifts on the 24th... and then have a GREAT Barbie party she wants in January. That way she enjoys it more and more reatives and friends can come.

Only a few have been ugly about it. They are the same ones that give her one gift for both Christmas and birthday, wrapped in Christmas paper...

Their attitude was almost like how dare I try to force them to attend an actual birthday party for her in January. I am hurt by them, and I want to get a tradition going for her now so she actually has family and friends at her parties rather than getting an extra gift at Christmas (or not even that).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think putting the party off might be a great idea.

like you said, still have the cake and such for your family at home but save the big party for later so that her friends and the rest of the family will actually atend it.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I too go through this every year as my sons birthday is either a few days before or a few days after Thanksgiving. This year it fell on Black Friday. What I did was host a party the weekend before and on his birthday we had cake and ice cream and gave him gifts from the family. Its hard for them to understand that their birthday is so close to a holiday.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 12:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Great idea!

My son's birthday falls the week before school starts, and often that's meant that many of his friends can't make it. We decided this year to have his party a month later, and had the best attendance ever.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i would defenentally have it in jan instead of arround xmas - for her sake she will be totally used to this event being put off by the time she is older and will be fine since like you have mentioned EVERYONE has family and stuff to do arround xmas.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i feel your pain my son's birthday is the 15 of december, and trying to buy birthday presents and christmas presents, plus plan a party i feel like i short change him every year.
    jo-42

Answer by jo-42 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008