How did you make it? Single mothers.

If you are a single mother, whom recently left her S/O.....how did you make it? Was it hard getting back on your feet? What about the kids? How hard was it for them? What was hard for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• My ex husband tried to kill us. He is in the military and never even got a slap on the wrist. I left him and moved to the other side of the US with our 2 year old daughter. It was very hard. I had no job experience, no support, no friends, nothing. My daughter had a very hard time getting adjusted to daycare. I took on some temp. jobs for a while and then applied to work for the State in an office position. I exaggerated my skills and I got the job. I am a survivor. 12 years later I have the same job AND a wonderful fiance...........
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• You can do it. I'm a single mom, but not in the same situation. I never had a SO, I've been single the whole time. Its a hard road but youre a mom, youre a strong woman. You need to do whats best for you and your kids. There is always sun after the rain. Good luck
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I took it one day at a time. I planned. I made a budget. I did ok. The kids were happier bc there was no more violence & arguments.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I left my ex 6 years ago. I got a job and a rental townhouse before I left him (I borrowed a couple thousand from my parents). Things were very tight for a while and it was a whole different world for me because I had been a SAHM for the prior 8 years. Overall, though the kids and I were much happier because there was so much less stress and we didn't have to walk on eggshells around the house. I went back to school with the intention of getting a night shift job at a pharma company - my kids were 4, 5, and 8 when I left so when I finished school I would have someone stay with them overnight and then I would sleep when they were in school, but be home with them all morning/afternoon - plus it was three 12 hour shifts, so I would have had the rest of the week off. But . . . I ended up meeting my husband at school, we got married and now have 2 more little ones. Life is good and I never regret leaving my ex.

Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think divorce opens a while new can of worms that one does not anticipate. For example, when I had the flu or stomach virus, I had to install a lock on my bedroom door (up high on the inside) so my 2-yr old was forced to stay in my bedroom and not wander around getting into dangerous things. It was a boring time for him but I didn't know what else to do. I also had to rent a 2 bedroom apartment since the county I moved to had a "space" law that would not allow my male son to sleep in the same bedroom as me. I did not receive child support. I couldn't run any errands after my son went to bed, or do anything that would leave him alone. Meanwhile my husband's quality of living improved. Economic studies show that in divorce in general, the lifestyle of the man improves while the woman's plummets. I'd really consider my expectations.
    flightless

Answer by flightless at 4:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011