Hurting at night

Please, no rude comments!
I'm 45 yrs old. Lately I've been waking up at night, several times a night, in pain. My shoulders, elbows, knees and lower back hurt the worst. If I change postitions, that helps but only for a short time and then I wake up again an hour later hurting.
Is it just *getting older* that's doing this to me? It started maybe a year ago. If it were just one area, I'd say it's pulled muscle or muscle strain .... whatever. But it's all over! Anyone else this age (or close to it) have these problems?
And yes I know I should talk to the doctor and I will, I'm just wondering if anyone else in my general age group has noticed these things happeneing and what did you do to relieve the pain. Taking a sleeping pill doesn't make a difference, nor does taking motrin or some kind of pain reliever before bed. Yoga maybe? I've never tried it but willing to do anything to get a good nights sleep!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Health

• Is your mattress firm enough? I noticed I needed a firmer mattress as I got older. Hopefully your doctor can help
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:21 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• YES! I'm 44 and find the same thing. It's mostly my hips, lower back and elbows though. I'm wondering if it could be arthritis?
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 11:23 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It could be arthritis, menopause, pain from your mattress just not cutting it for you anymore....any number of things
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My boyfriend is 46 and has the same problem. He now takes a daily vitamin that he gets at a vitamin store, it costs liek $32 a month for it but he notices that when he takes them, he's not in pain and if he skips one, he's hurting all night. Maybe get a better vitamin?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I don't take vitamins, and I know I should. I'll get some this week.
    My mattress is only 5 years old and I hate to have to buy a new one so soon since it's in great conditon (but I'm not, lol), but that's a good point. I will check into new ones. They are so expensive though!
    Any recommendations, is tempurpedic worth the cost?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I hear those numbers beds r wonderful!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I like the Nature Made Multi for her 50+. (I know you are not 50 yet, but you are in the neighborhood!)
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Um, thanks whitepeppers. I think ;) LOL.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would suggest a chiropracter:D Getting an adjustment is good for any age. They may be able to help you determine what is causign the pain. It could be the bed,(my Mom is your age and the older she gets the SOFTER she wants her bed. She has those big thick memory foam toppers and loves it. Could be how you hold yourself, your posture, lack of vitamin d....a ton of things. And start taking a Multi!
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• how about trying a warm bath in thyme before bed ? soak in it for about 15 minutes. See if that will help til you can get to the doctor.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 1:01 AM on May. 1, 2011