My 8yr old daughter is a big cry baby and gets mean when she doesn't get her way. How do I fix this?

It is getting really old and wearing down my patience. Today in her soccer game she cried cuz she didn't get to kick the ball then yelled at her teammates. When we try to correct her she cries. She just cries when she doesn't get her way or people don't pay attention to her. We have tried ignoring the tears, telling her to treat others as she would want to be treated and so on, but it's is still happening. I'm getting to the point where I just snap anymore. Help

melissap463

Asked by melissap463 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it is the age because we are going through some of the same stuff. That and attitude. Holy Crap the attitude this kid thinks she can get away with. If you figure something out let me know.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• sounds like she may have problems socializing. An 8 year old should not be yelling at her teammates because she didn't get to kick the ball. Does she have brothers & sisters....is she well socialized for her age? Have you tried any school counseling?

When she gets mean, i would discipline her without yelling or getting angry. I would tell her "that is not an appropriate way to act & if it continues, you will lose privileges." For my dd, it's video games....it's a gut wrencher for her when i take those away....but it works, she learns quick that if she wants to have privileges...she has to do as i say.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• She has 2 brothers but they are older and live with their mother. She is an only child in my house but she is socialized. Between school and daycare she is around others a lot but if it'snot her way she gets mad. We try to tell her it's not all about her way, she has to be nice to others and play what they want sometimes too. She has a quick temper and if we try to correct her she cries. She does have ADHD and seems better when on her meds but I try not to give them to her on weekends. She snaps with or without them. Tried counting, deep breathes, and all that but it's not helping so far
    melissap463

Comment by melissap463 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• All I can tell you is that you're NOT alone. My son is 7 1/2 and could be the spitting image of your daughter's behavior. HE has a little sister 3.5 years his junior. He bosses, he demands, he rigs games so that HE wins every time, it's HIS way or HIS way, he whines when she doesn't listen, he throws tantrums when things don't go his way, the list is endless and frustrating.

We haven't had his IQ tested, but he DID take the testing for the Highly Capable/Challenge/Gifted program back in January. The results for that were: he's in the 95% on verbal and 99% on non-verbal. I've heard and read that smart kids like my son just don't socialize well with their peers. He does AWESOME with kids a couple years his senior, or young kids that he can boss around without them arguing, but his peers? *sigh*

Hope I helped, not sure I really have.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my son is 8 and does the same things, lets just say if i were to put a plate of food in front of him he would scream he was hungry, and the doc said let him scream, no matter if its good or bad attention they want it. good luck mama
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 5:51 PM on May. 3, 2011