Step daughters 16th birthday party

Would you attend? Would you extend the extended invitation to your family....(her step aunts, step cousins etc). Her mother told my dh to "please ask both her other grandmothers and aunts etc to attend".

I am not comfortable with it at all.

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 12:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• yes i would attend. why are u uncomfortable with it ? was their any bad blood in the past ?
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• it depends on how close your family is to this 16 year old. My DH is my DD's step dad, and my daughter is very close to her step family. Her step family are always invited to every function of hers. They love her to pieces and are close to her.

But, if your relatives are not so close to her, then i would not extend the invitation. You should definitely go though...its your husbands daughter....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• We don't see her very much at all. Since she was about 10 her Mom has kept putting her in activities, and/or okaying that she could spend OUR weekends with her friends - which when dh put his foot down she would cry and he relented.....so yeah some bad blood to an extent. The past few years we (dh side) sees her Christmas eve and possibly thanksgiving. MY mom hasn't seen her in 3 years. It was the part of extending the invitation to dh and my extended family I was questioning.

My dh has even made the comment in the last year or 2 that he only gets a call back if she needs/wants something. We call her cell and she doesn't answer....
    brypmom

Comment by brypmom (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would pass on the invite and let your family decide how comfortable they are with it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• That's how is was done in my family... so happy my parents and step family got over themselves for our sake. So as a kid, I learned from early on that even adults need to play nice with others from their behavior. It's very gracious of her to invite all of you... be thankful b/c some families aren't so nice to each other!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Of course I would be there!!! She's 16 and family. what's wrong with you?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 5:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Ask your step daughter who she waunts to join her b-day party ask her what she waunts, give her some $ send her to mall to buy her self some-cloths or some-thing she waunts, invite her friends & family she waunts there good luck wishing her sweet 16th
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 11:05 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't extend the invitation
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am not really sure. Do what you are comfortable with.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If you're not comfortable, then don't do it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:58 PM on May. 5, 2011