If no one was alive, would God exist?

OR if a tree falls in the forest with no one to hear it, would it still make a sound?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Re: God - God was created by man, so the answer to your question would depend on if you meant that "no one was alive" before humans existed, or if you meant that something happened in the future that killed off everyone. If you meant before humans, then there would be no "God" whatsoever. If you mean that everyone died in the future, one could argue that he would still exist in the literature we left behind, however by "exist" I mean that in the same way Harry Potter fictionally exists in books.

Re: A Tree - Sound is energy, if something occurs that makes a sound, the existence of that sound is not dependent on the proximity of ears which can hear it. To illustrate this, think about the last time you were in your car stopped at a light and some idiot in the car next to you had the bass in his stereo turned up so loud you could actually FEEL it. Even if you were completely deaf, you would still feel the sound's energy.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 5:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No and yes.  Man created god so he can't exist without man.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• A few errors I'd like to point out with your "question". First you're taking that position that God does in fact really exist, and truth of the matter is no one knows for certain, that's why it's based on faith. Which goes into the second mistake that if you have already established him as existing for purpose of this question then whether or not people believe in him would not matter. Though no people means no one to believe in God but that is a different question.

As I don't believe God exists I don't believe it matters if there are people are not or if those people believe in god, it still doesn't mean he's real, and he isn't.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:24 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Yes, and.....Yes.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• For those to whom God does exist, it would stand to reason that God exists with or wothout people. For those for whom God does not exists, then he would definately not exists without the human brain.

It matters who's reality we are discussing.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• He was around before He made man, so why wouldn't He still be around if we no longer existed?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• according to biblical scripture (whether you take it literally or 'reject' its literal meaning), God was, and was lonely. so he did what he could to not be so, he created man. (paraphrased, of course). ergo, yes, he would.
    if a tree fell in a forest, of course it would make a sound.
    just because you don't witness something, does not mean it didn't happen.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No, and yes.

The tree is alive, the tree has substance, the existence of the tree can not be questioned.

The "god" in question is not alive, has no substance, can not be proven to exist outside of the minds of those who believe in it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• For the tree, as long as it collided with something, like the ground, and there was air for sound waves to travel through, yes, it would definitely still make a sound.

As far as a god goes, if one exists, presumably he would continue existing. If he/she only exists in mankind's mind, then no, unless animals believe in a god too.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• First we have to define what we mean by God, or at least I need to clarify what I think God is. By God, I mean the Universe or the impersonal forces that make up the natural world, so whether humans were here or not, YES, 'God' or the Universe would still exist. Personally, I do not believe in a supernatural deity or any anthropomorphic god(s), so I can't really say about that. Or I don't think that sort of God exists either way is another way to look at it, I suppose. I think God is a human concept, so the concept of God might not exist if humans weren't here, but the Universe and natural forces or laws of physics would still be here.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011