How do you choose the perfect home business?

I am looking into 2 different business ventures. Both will cost about the same to start, and I'd love to do both, but I know I couldn't handle two businesses! I'm looking for advice on both, I know in the end it's up to me to decide, but I figure if I could get advice, or if you've heard things about the businesses, good, or bad, please tell me, I can tally pros and cons, and go from there! Thanks!! My main goal is to choose the busines (right business) to hopefully be making me enough money that by October, we can move out of low income housing, into a normal apartment!

Organo Gold... (Organic Coffee), I am an avid coffee lover, Just not sure how well this will sell, and sounds like a newer business.
The Zone Team...(Melaleuca)... I have heard so many things about this business, some good, some bad. I know people need the products, but My question is, will they purchase the products?
Any advice, Good or bad, is greatly accepted, it will help me make my final decision! Thanks all in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Money & Work

• My advice would be go with what you love. Find your passion, and turn it into a business. If you don't love it, you will fail. I tried sales and WAH jobs and this and that, but until I figured out a way to do what I like to do and make money at it... I either wasn't happy or not doing very well in the financial aspect of things.

If you are really going to go with the above companies, I'd go with the coffee. Two reasons: 1) you said you love coffee, so you'll be motivated to sell it. To do well in direct sales, you have to believe your products are the best thing since the discover of America in order to get people excited about it. 2) New companies are better. It won't be as saturated a market. Everybody has heard of Melaleuca... there are others on this site selling it all over the place. If not as many people are doing it, they won't sick of your products before you even get going.

I work from home, PM if you wanna chat!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Hi, anon, if you're hoping to start a home business, I invite you to join my Cafemom business group.  There you can read advice articles on things like making a business plan and marketing.  And feel free to ask whatever questions you need to ask.

MoversShakers

Answer by MoversShakers at 1:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• You really have to pick something you are passionate about. I am not familar with either company. I would say the coffee. A consumable product is great!! I have my own business and I would be glad to share info with you. We actually make 50% on everything!!! I don't know how much you will make with the other companies but if you are interested in another option...send me a message.
    Thru today our starter kit is 1/2 price...$50: You get over $300 in Fullsize products plus all the business supplies you need!!
    We DO NOT have territories and we DO NOT have any Sales Quotas!!! There are NO Hidden Fees.
    Send me a message...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Aren't territories a good thing? Who wants to be selling something that hundreds of others could potentially be selling in the same area? Most franchises have strict territories to ensure that their business owners aren't serving an over saturated market.

If there is nothing you do which you can turn into a business...do your homework and choose wisely. Most direct sales businesses fail. Also, you need to consider what your goals are ahead of time. Do you want to be able to support yourself with this business? Is it just for spending money? Find out if you can determine how many people in your area are selling your product. How complicated is their system for moving up within the company? Does your sales team have to meet unreasonable quotas? How much of your own advertising is allowed aside from all the marketing materials they are giving you? Are your friends already fans of a product line they could buy from you instead?
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I will be 100% honest with u here..what are the major differences with their.comp plans b/c i.did meow for 2 1/2 yrs and to be dead.honey with you ..you aren't going to make enough with it to do what you want by oct.
    like i said 2 q
    1/2 yrs and i was good and consistent and Director 4 in that long amount of time...but there lots of cat he's..and i never made more than 350 a month at the high end..ultimately.it came down i believed in it but finding others who got it..another story..i left it to do Prepaid.Legal b/c there is a.Huge huge need for.it it pays 10 times better faster up front and direct.deposit..id hate for you to work as hard as i did oct comes and goes and ur no where near it...
    As for coffee..i had someone just pitch me a coffee biz on thuds i was completely unimpressed and holy cow. It was expensive.....im happy. To talk with u and very seriously and realistically can bit ur goals b/c I've been there and.done it
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Are you naturally outgoing, or do you want to sell primarily via Internet? Can you feel good about the prices of your products, or do you know your customers could find something less expensive but similar quality elsewhere? Are you okay with having to push your brand at every opportunity (see example above)? What percentage of consultants with each company reach 30K per year? 50K 100K or more? What are your income goals? How much time can you devote to your business? How much time did other consultants who are making the kind of income you desire have to spend on their businesses? Ask yourself these questions, and choose a business which fits your individual goals and capabilities. Do your homework!!!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Oh and PS...when I said you could PM me... I really meant just to chat about it. I'm not recruiting for a business. I don't do sales. :-)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

like i said 2 q
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• By the way...its even less with me RIGHT NOW to enroll for prepaid legal than the cheapest way of mela..and unlike mela our monthly reqquirement does not increase to quadruple with ur success its always the same at less than a cup of coffee. A day
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Honestly....if you love coffee sell the coffee. Personally I can honestly say I HATE Melaleuca. I know there are plenty of ladies on this particular answers section who are with melaleuca BUT...and no one can dispute this.

Melaleuca hides many of their ingredients list, even to their members, outside tests done have proven that their "natural" products DO in fact contain known harmful chemicals. They are basically a FAKE Natural company. That alone pisses me off. And well...being forced to spend X amount on overpriced FAKE natural products is a hard sell (if you want to be honest to your customers and recruits that they aren't as natural as they think)! Not to mention household cleaner....all natural 50/50 water and vinegar, costs pennies, works better, saves you money and you know it's natural.

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011