My soon to be 13 year old daughter wants to...

go to the movies with her girlfriends alone. Which means dropping them off at the theater and picking them up after the movie ends. I'm not completely comfortable with this idea. What is the appropriate age for a young group of girls to go to a movie unattended??

momof3gremlins

Asked by momof3gremlins at 1:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think a 13 year old in a group with her friends can be expected to go to the movies without incident. Just keep her in numbers and picking up/dropping off is the right way to go
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 1:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well, i was probably around 12-13 when my mom started letting me. i was also a responsible and trustworthy kid though, and it was before cell phones so my mom couldn't even check up on me. i think it really depends on your daughter and her maturity level. what does your gut tell you?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would let my daughter go with her friends to the movies at 13. She's 9 now so I have a few years, but I can totally see letting her do that when she's 13 - as long as I trust her friends and she hasn't done anything between now and then to let me know I can't trust her.

Answer by missanc at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My gut tells me, she's probably ok to do this. She's very responsible and hangs around with good kids as well. Just scares me a little. She's my oldest and times are not what they used to be.
    momof3gremlins

Comment by momof3gremlins (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it's fine at her age

Answer by admckenzie at 1:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I was 12 and in 6th grade when my mom let me do this. She would also let me go to the mall with a friend for the entire day. We would be dropped off around 9 and picked up about 5. I thought this was really fun, but I was also a really trustworthy kid and hung out with other trustworthy kids.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I know it is scarey the first time. Just make sure they are in a group and that her friends are good kids. Also make sure she knows what to do in any situation that you are concerned about.
    xpressmom

Answer by xpressmom at 1:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It has more to do with maturity level than it does with age. Most 13-year olds are too immature to be placed in that kind of situation. There are many dangers today that formerly did not have to even be considered. Think about things like an older man coming on to a group of 13-year old girls and ask yourself whether or not your child would have the maturity to know what to do in that kind of situation. Or ask yourself what your child would do if someone in the group suggested they skip the movie and go somewhere else. Or suppose you drop her off thinking she is going to see a G rated movie and someone suggests they go see one that is rated something else and they find an older person who is willing to walk in with them. Would your child be mature enough to say no to that? I would not allow her to go unless I went too, and I would be willing to pick up her friends and take them home. Drop off? No, I wouldn't do that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it's fine but YOU check the movie times and buy the tickets and watch them walk in the door to insure they are not leading you on about what movie they are seeing and when it start's lets out. But they should be fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My son was 11 and in 6th grade.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011