What do u think about inmates getting their GED while incarcerated ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I see nothing wrong with inmates getting a free college education either. ..why not?

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

Well, crap. My son joined the US Coast Guard to get his GI Bill to go to college. He could have just committed a crime, gone to prison, and gotten a free education! My middle son is paying for his tuition. But, I still have a 16 yo. We need to get him to stop that Eagle project he is working on, stop the honor courses, and begin his life of crime to go to college. The reward for following the rules is having to pay your own way. The rewards for a life of crime is a free ride. Is this a messed up world or what!

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:05 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I support it. It gives them a better chance of not being repeaters.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it sounds like a good idea. Then if nothing else they have left jail with an education to lean on.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i think everyone including criminals deserve an education. it will only have a positive effect.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It is a necessary document to possess in order to be a contributing part of society. The prison system has little to boast in regard to rehabilitating individuals... at least this one, small thing has the potential to open a door for them to contribute to society.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Getting an education is ALWAYS a good thing. Even if your in jail or prison.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it's a good thing. Some people come out of jail ready to turn over a new leaf and become productive members of society and get away from whatever life put them in jail in the first place.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'm for it as well. I was also going to say a lot of the times people end up in prison is due to lack of education or certain aspects surrounding that but minnesotanice beat me to it :)
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

Jealous?

Jealous that they are rewarded with breaking society's rules by being handed over a college education? You feckin bet.

My ex is currently in jail for molesting my daughter. Is it fair that he would complete his college degree for free, when I haven't been able to progress past my AA because of lack of funds (you know, being a productive member of society that pays her bills & contributes to an economy that shits on all of us).
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 3:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it's a good idea...hopefully it will spur them to do something positive with thier lives and continue to pursue an education and become a productive member of society when they get out.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011