Can we, will we, change the future of our schools in 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPX5KOCzaZo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Our school has cut almost everything including teachers. Until the state learns how to manage the money wisely it will only get worse.

mommom, Oregon raised taxes..quite a bit. They even instituted a 3.4% surcharge (no loopholes or deductions allowed) on the evil rich people. The end result is still is still a whopping $6 million dollar cut for our district alone. I won't even go into how many business have left the state or Oregon for more favorable states such as Texas..and for me Wyoming.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Can't open video right now....But to answer the title question~ IMO the best possible change occurs at the loca/community level. Not the one size nanny all federal level. Not sure if it applies to video.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• He is right. Now, if we could just get the psychologists out of the schools, we just might make some progress.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Throwing money at school will improve them, it you parents demeaning that the teachers teach, reading,math, HISTORY,and have PE again.
    And stop the politically correct crap it is hurting the kids, Kids can't be kids anymore!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• make uniforms mandatory through 12th grade

I don't agree with uniforms but a strict dress code so our teen girls can't go to school looking like little tramps as the fashion seems to dictate
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If by change you mean the public schools taking away even more arts, music and extra curricular activities, then yea.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Disband the Department of Education, institute a voucher system, let the states administer their school districts, discard tenure and put in place pay for performance, make mandatory immersion in English for those that cannot speak English, do away with bi-lingual education (it does not prepare the child for the real world of work), make uniforms mandatory through 12th grade, fire under-performing teachers immediately. Competition for students and the money will force the cream to the top. Rooting out subversive curricula through parent groups that oversee purchasing of texts. I am tired of our schools being used as recruiting grounds to overthrow our system of government. This is a really serious situation that needs focused, responsible people to bring our schools back to the excellence of forty years ago.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 6:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Oops throwing money at the schools WILL NOT improve them
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• This graphic says it all!!

As a special education teacher, I KNOW that there is TONS of redundancy in public schools, and what I call "fluff classesand concepts."  If we went BACK to the basics (in other words ELIMINATE bush's NCLB bill), and teach to PROFICIENCY, not to test; hold kids back or send them to summer school if their grades warrant it; bring back letter grades--including "+" and "-", not the "4, 3, 2, 1," grading system (in PA), THEN we might get somewhere!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yeah, I can see why SOMEONE would down vote my previous response...I even criticized Bush, whom I voted for and for the most part supported!! LOL

Yep! The haters are out in full force, and we haven't even gotten into the nitty gritty of the presidential elections!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011