Would "Lord of the Flies" be any different if it was a bunch of school girls abandoned on an island?

I'm writing an essay on the religious motifs that pop up in the novel, particularly the idea of original sin and the Garden of Eden. I got to thinking that if the boys are Adam, is there an Eve? Or do they just represent humans in general? What if there were girls? Would it have screwed up the dynamic or would the hunting ritual still have happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Girls would have been just as vicious but their cruelty would have manifested itself differently.

I don't think the actions would've been different, only the motivations. And I think it would've been accelerated. Girls feed off each other, so everything would be a bigger issue, escalate faster and the fallout more explosive. Imagine how your average group of tween girls with their opposing camps around a few queen bees would behave if they didn't have parents, schools and law enforcement keeping them in check - they already drive each other to suicide with that in place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• think it would be even worse than the boys!! Girls can be SO much more visious than boys!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Ah, it would have began with the majority torturing the "black" sheep... Women feel threatened by individuality, or by very strong female personalities. Which is why they form cliques. Safety in numbers. Numbers also help when engaging in ritualistic torture.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think it would take a lot less time for them to turn against each other.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree with vbruno....someone would have been killed WAY earlier then they were if it was a bunch of girls
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If it were girls, they'd all be dead by the end
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Girls would have been just as vicious but their cruelty would have manifested itself differently.  The point of the book is that we are animals covered by a thin layer of civility and this is also plainly seen on the reality show Survivor.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes.It would definitley be worse. Females are so calculating and potentially manipulative sometimes
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 1:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The pretty girls would have gotten together and the strong girls would have gotten together and the girls who fit niether one of those molds would have been in a group when the boat came only three girls would have been left you make up your mind who they are
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think they would have divided a lot faster and would have been much more cruel if they were all girls. Girls can be vicious.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011