Is Hell a threat? What does this say about the person making the threat?

I walk up and tell you I have a gun and that I will shoot. I have threatened you. Are you any less threatened if you never know that I never had a gun to begin with? If then someone tells you that you're going to Hell, and yet they can't show you Hell (much like not showing the gun), how is it any less a threat? Threats are to manipulate a person in a specific mental state. That mental state is achievable whether the threat is valid (real gun), or not (fake gun or no gun). Telling someone they are going to Hell is to threaten and manipulate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's bullying, but it's also desperation. Someone who is so incapable of articulating what they believe in a logical and rational manner, they resort to empty threats, much like a child throwing a tantrum telling someone they can't play in their yard anymore.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• so true. i think the idea of hell is a form of control over the masses of people.the gullible ones succumb to that fear.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Anyone telling ME I'm going to hell IS NOT a threat to me! No human has the power, authority or ability to tell me where my soul is going after I die. That is entirely up to Jesus and God. Bible thumper's use the your going to hell threat to try and make other conform to their standards and belief's
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think of it as a form of bullying.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree that it is a form of manipulation... I don't necessarily see it as a 'threat' in the sense that the person issuing the statement does not have the means to carry out the threat. I do think it is a fear tactic, and that those who rely heavily on this as a means of converting others, while they may be sincere in their belief, are using it in a bullying sense.

When I was growing up, my best friend's family went to a very 'fire and brimstone' church... I remember this terrifying me as a child and it quite literally pushed me farther from that belief system... my feeling was that if having those beliefs made me feel that frightened, I was going to try very hard to believe something else! I don't think it's a terribly effective means of conversion.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• the people who tell you your going to hell are just trying to scare you into going to their religion......when in reality it just pushes people farther and farther away from religion
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 2:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Eh an implied threat maybe but it really doesn't have an effect other than making people laugh at the hypocrisy,
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It is tactless and hateful. There are better and much nicer and open minded ways of sharing you opinion.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I view it like a life insurance salesman. Selling you on a policy to protect you and your family. Buy the policy (religion), and your family will be protected from being destitute.

Lots of people will buy into it, else this tactic would not be used.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I see using hell as nothing more than threatening and trying to bully or scare someone into submission. I don't believe hell exists, and think it unloving and un-Christlike to constantly be threatening people with it...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011