Anyone here that BF a older baby around 16 months old and had a 18 hour road trip?

So DH, Me, 3 kids are all driving back home from WA state. it is a 18 hour trip from wa to cali but thats none stop. We have to stop to us bathrooms, eat and most likely 1 to 2 hotel stays. We have a almost 7 year old in August, a almost 5 year old this may and i have a 1 year old son. he will be 16 months old in August. We BF, he eats solids but not as much as he nurses. I do not count how many BF sessions we have and how long they are because its useless to do that. He nurses sometimes for 5 mins and then hes off to play or 20 mins, 30 mins. He does not know how to use a Bottle, Open cup or straw. He is a very active baby. He hates long car rides especially when hes tired and wants to nurse. He starts to cry, scream and get pissed in the carseat for too long. He likes being out and looking at things. My husband does not have patience when it comes to smaller children crying. Please no bashing if your going to say shouldnt have kids. Not every person has patience and neither do i but more then him i do. I dont like listening to babies cry, its frustrating and i just want to grab my son when he cries. I need to know what you did in your long road trip? My son wont BF we stop at a gas station or rest stop. he gets distracted and wants to mess with the car. I know we would need to find a hotel or two down the road trip but i wanted to see what you guys did? Since he doesnt know how to use a bottle i dont know any other way to calm him down. ESPECIALLY when there are no rest stops or hotels near by and you need to wait 30mins to more then a hour until you find one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• personally i think he is too old to bf he sould have been introdused to a bottle or straw a long time ago then it wouldnt be much of a problem now.

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• OK- the idiot can go back in her hole now.

A bottle is a POOR SUBSTITUTE for a breast, which is what babies and young children were designed by nature to be fed with.

OP- When we had long car rides, I would sit next to the car seat (I'm assuming because of his age, he is still RF) and nurse while they were in the seat. It makes things a lot easier. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but if you have the option to sit next to him so that he *can* nurse, it will make things a lot easier.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Oh, I also used a "blinder" over the window so that they couldn't look out while we were moving, and get distracted.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• typically you try to introduce a bottle with breastmilk at some point even while still breast feeding, but i know mine took awhile to even want to use it until there was vanilla soymilk or watered down apple juice in it :) but even then he prefers the boob if thats available(can ya blame him? haha).
    at any rate i think if he's really hungry he will BF when you offer it. i personally do it in the car if there's not another area for it. and bring a few safe snacks for him to munch on in the car to tide him over. my guy loves baby mum mums (they are rice rusks and they're good for little hands to grasp but turn to mush quickly in his mouth without the mess of biter biscuits.) give him a couple chewy toys to help entertain him while he's riding.
    but most of all, and unfortunately, he will be crying in the car when it's such a long ride, but hey if i could complain about being in the car that long i would too. bring some music :)
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The difference between now and August might be a big one, especially in terms of nursing. My middle child was a big nurser at 12 months and was done at 15 because she was so busy.

In the months from now to August, work on him taking a sippy or straw cup, because he will need one eventually and for those times when stopping to nurse just won't work.

I always break up long car trips into 2-3 days and plan over nights in advance because hotels tend to be cheaper even a couple of days in advance as opposed to walk ups. I also like to find fun family stuff to do along the way so the kids don't get so bored. And those stops will let him be active and not in the car as well as give nursing opportunities.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• wow strange that im an idiot for suggesting that he be introduced to a bottle or staw or cup, and there are others that said the same that he needs to be introduced to a straw or bottle. im not downing bf but there are times that u cant plop it out for him. if he was used to a bottle she could pump it and while on the road there wouldnt be a prob.
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• he doesnt want a bottle. he chews on the nipple part and throws it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• WOW - there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the baby's age whatsoever!!
    OK. I breastfeed my 19 month old still - we've taken a handful of long trips, some when he was younger and full-time nursing. It's NOT easy but it's definately do-able!

If there is no way to introduce a sippy cup then you're going to have to nurse. As much as possible. Every stop! If you have to (and I have personal experience doing this) you're going to have to sit next to baby (while he is strapped in!) and lean over his carseat and nurse him. I've done this so many times now I am a pro, lol. It's not much fun but you do what you gotta do for babe! Good luck!!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 4:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• FYI- not all woman *can* pump, and not all babies *will* take a bottle. Unless you've encountered either of those situations, I assume you're just completely ignorant to reality.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If your baby is crying because he's truly hungry, then a light sheet over him and your chest can provide privacy and lessen distractions if you husband pulls the car over. Your baby might be crying because he's just fussing and bored. When I had to go back to work and was breastfeeding, I prepped by only feeding my daughter three times a day. After several weeks, my flow had reduced and she was content with baby foods.
    flightless

Answer by flightless at 5:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011