Do you tip the carhops at Sonic Drive-In? How much?

I went out to Sonic with my dad last night. We weren't sure whether to tip the carhop. On one hand, they are not really a waiter/waitress, because they only come out once and they don't check on you, refill your drinks, offer dessert, etc, which is what waiters/waitresses typically do to earn tips. On the other hand, they are ROLLERSKATING out to your car, so...
On a third hand, my dad said that back when drive-in restaurants with carhops were common, they did not tip the carhops. But on a fourth hand, I have read that Sonic does not pay the carhops more than $3.00/4.00 an hour, and they are supposed to rely on tips for the bulk of their pay.
So... to tip, or not to tip? And if so, how much? The full 20% or so you'd tip a waitress? The change from your order? A dollar?
(By the way, we DID tip our carhop 20%, which was only $4.)

NickiKidsOnGo

Asked by NickiKidsOnGo at 1:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Same as any waiter/waitress. 20% for good service.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i actually heard that Sonic employees receive minimum wage or more, not server's wage. if i tip at all, it's my leftover change or a buck.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Nope and I never will tip them. Its fast food, and they are trying to FORCE people to tip them because they roller skate your food out to you? Nope! Dont think so!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• And yes they are getting minimum wage which is 7.50 so WHY tip them?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I've never tipped them and I don't think I ever will. I agree with vbruno.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Same here. I don't tip them. Tipping them for rollerskating out to my car w/my food is like tipping the bus boy for cleaning up my table when I'm done eating. Makes no sense to me.
    805doll

Answer by 805doll at 2:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes, we always have. If you didn't want to tip, just go to the drive through and then park in their parking lot for outside dining guests.

Good question though. I didn't know they get paid that much.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• they DONT get min wage, and they do live off tips. I tip them a couple dollars each time.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I don't tip for fast food. The only Sonic around here doesn't have skaters, they walk it all out and most people sit at the tables anyway.
    Anonymous

• I work at sonic and at several stores in our area including the one I work at we make $6 per hour. At the smaller stores in smaller reas that carhop made the drink took the order bagged the food makes ice cream and still has to clean too. In the bigger cities the carhop just takes food out. So it depends on the store as to their job duties.
    lfrrll5

Answer by lfrrll5 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2012