S/O from the question about Hell as a threat...

AS a Christian I believe in Heaven and Hell and everything that typically goes along with the faith... I seem to someone major difference between myself and several of my 'peers' of the same faith. I see other religions as just that. Other religions. When I choose to 'witness' it isn't with degrading comments such as 'you will go to Hell' or 'Those who don't believe are sinners who will burn in Hell'... If I choose to witness it is to say 'Oh, Well I believe ____ because ____.' It's the same end result. I shared what I believe and why BUT I didn't offend anyone by saying you're wrong and going to suffer for it. I see other religions are interesting. I see A LOT or parallels between A LOT of them. The people that choose a faith not the same as mine are making there choice and I did my 'job' as a Christian to share my faith. I can't productively 'bully' anyone into accepting Christ. All I can do is set a good example for my faith and I can't see how making statements such as those I have mentioned 'helps' anything. It only draws hostel a line in the sand. Why does it seem like a good idea to use these sort of tactics? Obviously not ALL do I don't want to generalize but the fact is there must be quite a large number because I hear about it all the time on here...

Okay I'm done. Now I wasn't aiming to make anyone mad or offend anyone I just wanted to see if I got any honest answers while putting my opinion on the floor. (It's funny I'm nervous like I have just thrown myself to the wolves. lol) ::deep breath::

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The only question I have for you, is why you feel it is EVER appropriate to 'witness' at all?

It is one thing if someone approaches you of their own accord, asking direct, concise questions regarding your religious practices or beliefs. It is another entirely to bring that information to them, without their prior solicitation.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I understood how you meant it, but Im sure someone got their pantyhose in a bunch over it
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would never walk up to some and just say hey hows it going can I share with you what I believe(I hate the people that come to your door! Uncomfortable much?) .... But there are times it comes up. I have said to someone in passing about an even we are attending or something and I get something like 'Oh well I don't believe in that stuff.' I usually ask what they do believe because it's interesting to hear other opinions, and then share what I believe in return. It should always be two ways IMO. AS Christian we are directed by our faith to share it. So there is an inherent pleasure in sharing what you believe in. It's just kind of part of the package but it shouldn't, IMO be forced or mean. It's just another difference I guess...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I understand... Well explained. :) Wasn't being ill with my question.
    I fully understand what christianity demands of it's believers, which is why I felt the need to say what I did.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yes, xtians and their heaven hell bit pretty much suck.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 2:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Obby I enjoy your answers. You are a very thoughtful person and seem well versed in many faiths besides your own so I was never offended!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• People might come up and share any part of their life with you and you may or may not agree. To those so sensitive to witness: why so defensive? I get the threatening he'll thing, but I don't think those are true witnesses. A true witness is simply sharing with someone how Christ has impacted the person personally. It should never, ever be condemning and judgmental. Some are misguided but mean well, and others have no common sense. Sometimes after sharing my personal story, I do say that I think similar comforts or helps are everyone's right as a creation of God. I think, I believe.....never "you need to". Or "you should". I know everyone is not tactful or even likable, but shari think others don't understand about Christians is, mostly, they are well-intended and care about others knowing Christ - because it has been life-changing/positive for them. They want that for others. They just sometimes go about it wrong!
    DarlaHood

Answer by DarlaHood at 2:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I meant "threatening hell thing". But auto-correct got me!
    DarlaHood

Answer by DarlaHood at 2:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'll never understand the whole witnessing thing. It's one thing to be in a discussion and sharing beliefs, but another to just start spouting about your beliefs.
    I think if one is truly at peace...they would know their actions speak much louder than their words, and the message of their beliefs would shine through to others.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• When it comes to 'witnessing,' there are three things that come to my mind. The first is that other people feel just as positively about their own beliefs and the impact of their beliefs on their lives. I'm fine with hearing how Christiantiy has changed your life for the better, providing you are equally fine with learning how Buddhism has changed my life for the better. I find many who 'witness' (about religion or anything else!) are operating with the assumption that what is great for them is automatically great for everyone else when others may not feel the same way. The second thing is that it often seems to assume that the person being witnessed to has no knowledge of Christianity... which, in this culture, is probably incorrect. And the third is that I wholeheartedly endorse the quotation that one should witness but use words only when necessarily. Simply being a good person is the best endorsement of all.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011