Looking to become a First Time Home Buyer - Any Advice?? **Update**

We found a house we like!!! But I'm scared to go walk thru it. We don't know how long it's sat empty. It's a bank owned property that the bank just dropped the price down another 3k. When we first saw it, it was priced at 30,500, and now it's 27,500. For a 3 bed 1 bath small ranch. No garage, corner lot, neighborhood kindy iffy.

I'll post the link to it from realtor.com if anyone wants to look at it and here it is below:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12172-Spalding-Dr_Colerain-Twp_OH_45231_M45445-15758

OhSara87

Asked by OhSara87 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• What fun !! Take your time and get to know your market. There are many options when buying. If you find something you love and are ready to put in a bid, come back and repost. We will help you get the best deal you can. I like bringing a camera with so I can look back at the pictures and remember things.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• While it's buyer market make full sure your jobs are stable. Houses cost more than just a payment. You have to repair the gutters after a storm, you have to replace the leaking faucet, you have to hire a repair man to look at the oven... You have to buy tools to do certain jobs... There is no call the land lord and he will fix it up. Owning a home is great but make certain you are able o handle the house payments, the taxes, the insurance AND the unexpected such as job loss or a flooded basement from a busted hot water heater. Not trying to discourage you just giving you a realistic look. Good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for!!
    Anonymous

• don't go for any real estate agent. you should meet a few and find one that really has your best interest in mind. my husband is a good one, but it is appalling how many horrible ones are out there that give the rest a bad name.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 2:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• When you find a house you like and they give you an estimated payment Keep in mind when they give you is just that, an estimate. Our payment went up 200 at the table and we were not really prepared to make payments like that but for some reason signed the papers anyway...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Make sure you can really afford it. It is more than just the payment each month. Upkeep on a home is expensive.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree with whitepeppers, get an inspector in there and have them do a real thorough check... wiring, plumbing, structural, roof and attic, basement too. My ex and I bought a house that the sellers real estate agent provided- Big mistake! The hidden home repair costs killed us
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 3:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Don't jump inot the first house you see,Don't let the realestae agent talk you into a home you don't really like,Make sure your agents are not a married couple (example: she is the agent he is the mortgage broker),
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Location location location. PLUS stay within your financial comfort zone. Don't be house poor, its a miserable way to live. Good luck and enjoy your new home.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Make sure your realtor shows you many houses, not just ones s/he's listing. Get a home inspection, even if it's not required by law.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:46 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Find a realtor you trust.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:01 AM on May. 3, 2011