How much computer time (for games) a day is acceptable?

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 2:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Every morning, DS who is 6, gets 20 video game dollars (20 in monopoly money) They are in a en envelope on the cork board. Each $ is worth 1 min so 20 $ 20 min. Additional min can be earned in increments of 5 or 10. So it is also a reward system. Arguing can loose $'s. There was one day he lost his 10 of his next days min. There are also rules as to when he can use them. A he has to have permission to spend them. B only 30 min can be spent at a time a total of 1 hour. C At other houses or if he has friend over $ do not apply.

3 good things have happened 1- He is not angry when his time is up because he KNOWS he will get to play again. 2- He is learning to budget time and money in a sense. (make wise choices on a small budget) 3- he will ask me sometimes what extra chores he can do to earn more video game dollars. SO that's always a perk!

So in my house 1 hour is max time spent on games.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If you would like to PM you are more than welcome to. I can maybe help you come up with some plans to try out. Not every thing works for every kid but I have been through some routines and know all about 'monstrous' behavior! So no judgment I swear!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• it depends on how well the child does at school, his grades etc...
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My kid's got 1 hour of video games and less time on the computer IF their chores and homework were done.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Not in school until the fall.

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• How old is your child? My total honest opinion is kids under 10 really shouldn't be allowed to play computer games. BUT... I would say 30 min. Or limit it to so many hours per week... keep a chart. If in one day they go over set amount of time... then they dont get to play any longer. I think that teaches responsibility, time management etc. Probably should be used for an older child though...def 8. :) Not a 5 year old lol.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 2:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• None. Games only on weekends in our house.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• She's 4 - she will be 5 in July. Her behavior is almost completely unmanageable but she is SO peaceful when she plays. Her little sister cannot get her naps in the afternoon because my 4 year old is too noisy and rambunctious. I usually let her play during sister's naptime, if she finishes her lunch. So she usually gets about 2 hours a day. I'm conflicted on this though. On one hand, I think she's too young to be on the computer (and never even thought to let her play until I learned she was doing it in school). But on the other hand, I see how it calms her down and allows my youngest to take her nap.

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• There are other quiet games to consider... play dough, outside with sidewalk chalk, requiring a 'quiet time where she must sit and read books while LO sleeps (this would be a good opportunity to earn more games!)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I like that set up, ButMommie. As for other quiet games to consider, believe me, I have tried them all. I firmly believe my daughter has ODD coupled with ADHD. We do not have a diagnosis yet, but when she has testing done in the fall, I have a good feeling we will. There is no way to have a peaceful interaction with her. Any tiny little thing can set her off and she is monstrous. Without going too far into detail, I'll just say that I've tried those and they do not work - for quiet time. However, we do plenty of that when her sister is awake and she can be as loud as has to be :o)

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011