What is gnosticism?

Are there any here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• GNOSTICISM IS THE TEACHING based on Gnosis, the knowledge of transcendence arrived at by way of interior, intuitive means. Although Gnosticism thus rests on personal religious experience, it is a mistake to assume all such experience results in Gnostic recognitions. It is nearer the truth to say that Gnosticism expresses a specific religious experience, an experience that does not lend itself to the language of theology or philosophy, but which is instead closely affinitized to, and expresses itself through, the medium of myth. Indeed, one finds that most Gnostic scriptures take the forms of myths. The term “myth” should not here be taken to mean “stories that are not true”, but rather, that the truths embodied in these myths are of a different order from the dogmas of theology or the statements of philosophy.

emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If I put a specific name to my religion it would be a Gnostic Christian! Gnostic means truth.....or seeker of truth. Many don't know of the Gnostic gospels, they were conveniently removed. But here is one site that talks about them (but there are many) http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/gnostics.html
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'm interested in Gnosticism, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a Gnostic. It doesn't quite fit my perspective. I see many similarities between Buddhism and Gnosticism though, so some aspects of it do 'fit' me or are similar to my personal views. And although Gnostics tend to be Pantheists like me, they tend to have a 'world rejecting' view (type of either pantheism or panentheism) while I tend to have a more 'world affirming' view or variety of Pantheism, closer to strict pantheism or Naturalistic Pantheism.

I've read a little on this link: A Brief Summary of Gnosticism, so it might be helpful for some basic info.

Also, we have the Nag Hammadi Library here at home and I've read parts of it, and they also tend to rely on the gospels in the Bible as texts as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Gnosticism:was a group of ancient religions that combined different elements from Hellenistic Judaism, Greco-Roman mystery religions, Zoroastrianism (especially Zurvanism), Neoplatonism, and eventually Buddhism With early Christianity Leviticus19:19Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee. If God doesn't want these mingled, why would He be alright with people Mingling other gods & beliefs with His??? He Would Not!!!

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 1:51 PM on May. 1, 2011