Question about cooking fish

I have never, ever cooked fish. I don't think we've even had fish since we got married lol (or at least not any cooked here). I want to make some soon, and I found a recipe for lemon garlic tilapia that seems simple enough, but I was wondering if you have to thaw fish. I know that's probably really stupid, but I have some recipes for chicken that works with thawed chicken, and some that you can use frozen, so for baking fish... I'm at a loss.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've always thawed it in a bowl of water with a little vinegar (usually to fry it) for about 40 minutes
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• definitely thaw it.

If you have small pieces that are frozen, you can batter them & deep fry them frozen. But, to make what you're making i would defrost at least most of the way. if they're a tad frozen in the middle, it will be OK. Fish defrosts fast & it cooks fast too.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I just put it in the fridge for a few hours. Usually when I buy fresh fish I don't freeze it.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Thaw it, and make sure you rinse it prior to cooking. Plus, a little thing to remember is carry over cooking. If it is completely cooked in the pan, it will be overcooked on the plate. You need to let it "rest" for a few minutes before plating it and serving.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• For me it depends how I'm cooking it. If I'm putting it in a baking dish in the oven, I do thaw it most of the time but it's never been a problem to do it frozen (my mom always baked it from frozen and hers was better than mine is - and it's not breaded). If I'm putting it in foil packets on the grill, I keep it frozen so it wraps easier - but it does get about half an hour to thaw between wrapping & grill time before it cooks. I've never had a problem.
    Anonymous

• yes ur tilapia needs to be thawed, i make it all the time
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011