For those of you who have really smart toddlers....

I'm talking about toddlers that can read, and or write, sing the alphabet, knows their numbers etc.  How do you do it??  I try to teach my almost 3yr old that stuff.  she knows how to count to 4, knows the alphabet up to G and she knows her shapes and colors fully.  Shes not slower I'm just curious on your methods on how you teach them?  does it also matter that I have 2 other younger kids??  Just looking for ideas

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 4:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well first off, you shouldn't push her too hard, she's just a kid. What does she like? My daughter learned a ton from watching Barney, believe it or not.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Honestly, I didn't really teach my kids too much. They picked a lot up on their own and from watching children's shows, which are really heavy on the ABCs, 123s, etc. I did read plenty of books to them and, also, my kids were around adults more than kids in their baby/toddler years and I think that helped too. Their vocabulary was phenomenal (and bilingual) as a result.
    Anonymous

• Repetition and making it fun. Teach while playing games and shopping, etc. My daughter started counting to ten in spanish when she was less than 2 just from watching Dora, that cracked me up. Sing the alphabet song while pointing to the letters. Your younger ones will pick this up faster from listening to big sister do it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Mine can't read much but can write and knows all shapes, colors, counts to 50.

the only thing that I have done is repeat things A LOT!!! Because you have 2 younger ones, it could be that you don't have the time like I would (1 young child). Since I don't have other kids needing my attention, I talk to her all the time and we play practice.

Don't beat yourself up over it. She still has time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'm not beating my self up it just feels like shes behind sometimes when people say their kids are doing all this stuff. I dont really let her watch too much tv. I do try to make it fun, we play with chalk while doing it or markers, making silly songs etc. I guess I'm doing good LOL
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Honestly.. we got her a learning laptop, it taught her her numbers to 10, shapes, colors and several objects. We have some of those learning dogs as well (scout) and it sings songs. We didn't actually TRY to teach her this stuff but my daughter who is 27 months can do all of the above. She also has an older sister who is 5 to try to keep up with in their own sibling war lol.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• sing the abc song, practice counting with them. You have to sit down and help them draw shapes and letters, etc. and encourage them to try it on their own.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my toddler can do anything on your list but he only 2 and a half and can work a dvd playing, he works things out very fast he watches how people open baby gates and doors and dose it right after them . the Truth of the mater is most kids catch up with each other so if your kids readingĀ  now or not prob wont make a big dif in the long run reading and writing don't mean there smart , how most people determine if your smart is by how well you problem solve. also there more to life than being smart at between 2 and 5 is when we develop a lot of are social skills and coordination skillsĀ  there very importent for later life and often are much harder to learn at an older stage so again just cause your kids not reading dose not mean there not skilled in things they need and they will catch up

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my boy can run like a 4 year old and make friends with any kids he can understand how to play in a group and has good self help skills like putting his jacket on . as i said he learn how to do things fast these may sound like silly things but all ready at not even 3 my son can walk into a group of 3-4 year old kids and play with them he the center of any game and its a skill that will help him threw life
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my kids are like that too, both my almost 3yr old and my 20 month old know how to work the dvd player and how to put netflix up on the ps3, also both can talk very well, my 20 month old speaks in 7-8 maybe more word sentences clear and both are very social, in fact my almost 3yr old is usually the center of attention no matter what age group the kids are. I just want to get her better prepared for school, and those things are important, my dfs mother thought like you and when she stopped homeschooling him and put him in school he scored at the retarded score line and its proposed challenges in his life.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2011