Indiana to lead the way in defunding Planned Parenthood.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels said Friday he will sign restrictive abortion legislation, making Indiana the first state to cut off all government funding for Planned Parenthood and boosting Daniels' credentials among social conservatives as he considers whether to run for president.

Daniels said he supported the abortion restrictions from the outset and that the provision added to defund abortion providers did not change his mind. He said women's health, family planning and other services will remain available.

"The principle involved commands the support of an overwhelming majority of Hoosiers," Daniels said in a statement announcing his intention to sign the bill when it arrives on his desk in about a week.

Planned Parenthood of Indiana said in a statement it would file an injunction to "try to halt this alarming erosion of public health policy in our state."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_DANIELS_PLANNED_PARENTHOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-29-17-28-45

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Government should NOT fund abortions..
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Government should NOT fund Planned Parenthood...or rather, government should NOT fund non-profit organizations that have other revenue sources when there are other areas that need the money more. Abortion is the Ohhh Shiny used to polarize people on the issue, but it comes down to basic budgeting. There are better places to use that money.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Good on him in terms of the $$$$ piece. Why attach your name to abortion IF you're seriously thinking about a bid as a presidential nominee in an election slated for the next year? Social conservatives are not paving the path to the WH, sorry- MUCH bigger issues that WE as a NATION are facing-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think preventing pregnancy and STI tests are very important issues.. I agree that the Government shouldn't fund abortions, but don't shut down PP... Sometimes that is the only place people can turn to for BC and STI help.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• He is zoning in on the Abortion issue to get votes. He knows , as do we all, that Planned Parenthood.....stress the "Planned" word...is there for so many other reasons and they do good works.
    The guy is an opportunist, feeding into the "myth" that PP only does abortions... , encouraging the fears of the uptight,moralistic ,hypocritical Conservative populace in Indiana....and if he is running for President eventually, he sure won't convice me to vote Republican.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Gerp, try reading the article.

He said women's health, family planning and other services will remain available.

Daniels said he has ordered Indiana's Family and Social Services Administration to ensure Medicaid recipients receive prompt notice of nearby care options.

"We will take any actions necessary to ensure that vital medical care is, if anything, more widely available than before," Daniels said.

"Any organization affected by this provision can resume receiving taxpayer dollars immediately by ceasing or separating its operations that perform abortions."
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• but don't shut down PP

For the 5 millionth time. The majority of PP's funding does not come from the government. They have all kinds of other resources at their disposal, and don't need government money to survive. If PP chooses of its own free will to shut some offices down (and tout it repeatedly in the news for sympathy) that's their own choice. It's not something they have to do. They are choosing to do that rather than reallocate the funds they have.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Family values? Those of us who were not pregnant when we got married, worked hard (without the help of welfare) have no vices, have never cheated on our spouses and raise our children to be kind, educated and responsible citizens ARE exhibiting Family Values. We don't have to be identified as a Democrat or a Republcian....we are just mature and conscientious adults with values and morals

^minnegerpies response in another post. Sounds like you are one of those "uptight,moralistic ,hypocritical Conservative populace in Indiana.."
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I don't know how you are getting that from my post ......quite a stretch. I am PRO-Choice for all. But I wouldn't have an abortion myself. NOT at all hypocritical. ANd I did have moral standards which helped me say NO to sex and allowed me to get birth control when I felt the time was right. I was educated . Those teens who have sex need PP to obtain birth control.
    So......get off my case.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• So......get off my case.

LMAO
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2011