How can I get my daughter out of my bed?

My daughter is 10 1/2 months old, and is sleeping in bed with my husband and I. due to the loss of our house several months back, we didn't havethe space needed for a crib in the place we were staying. Now that were moved out, we are having SUCH A HARD TIME getting my daughter to sleep anywhere but right next to me in bed. She is EBF, and this has been the downfall in her sleeping in my bed. She latches herself on at night, and has become dependant on it to soothe herself to sleep. We've had enough! Tips, advice, personal experience... anything would be greatly appreciated in helping me get DD out of our bed and back in her own!

LeahsMommy361

Asked by LeahsMommy361 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good luck. My kid slept with me when she was little becaue her dad was overseas a lot. Then she slept with me because I left her dad and we had a tiny place. Then she slept with me because she was so freaking used to it. Now she's 14 and sleeps by herself :)
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Where does she sleep at naptime? If it's in your bed, this would be a great chance to start weaning her off of your bed.

Put her in the crib. Let her fuss for 5 minutes, then check on her, or it that is too hard for you, you can sit in the room with her until she falls asleep. If you choose to let her fuss, keep adding 5 minutes between the times that you check on her. When they cry,you will know if it's from pain or just because they aren't getting their way.

Once you have accomplished naptime, start working on bedtime. Get a different routine so she isn't expecting to go to bed with you. Book, bath, then bed. When you put her in bed, this is what I did. I got a book and booklight and sat right beside the bed until she fell asleep. After 2-3 nights, I moved the chair closer to the door, 3-4nights later, I moved again. Once I was at the door, I would put her down and leave cont.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Then I would let her fuss for 5 minutes comfort her and leave for 10 minutes, comfort her and leave, 15 minutes.... All she needed to learn was that while she couldn't sleep with mom, mom would always come if there was something wrong.

Once I started leaving the room after putting her down, it only took 3 nights before I could put her down and she would fall right to sleep.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Awww my little girl is 12 months old is still breastfeeding too and wakes up 3 times a night to nurse plus nurses every 3 hrs during the day but I dont mind it cause I know she wont be little forever and I try and cherish our "bond through nursing". Give her a little slack shes still so tiny and just the scent of you makes her comfortable. Just my opinion :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• There's not but one way. That is to put her in her bed, tell her good-night and walk out of the room. When she cries, when she surely will, call to her from outside her door and let her know that you are close by. If you must enter her room, pat her on the back a few times, and then leave again. The best way to break a bad habit is cold turkey. I might even try lying down on the floor next to her bed for a night or two in order to reassure her that she had not been abandoned.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Eh, my BF babies went into their own beds after they were weaned. It makes no sense to rob yourself of sleep if you need to feed her at night. The babies let you know when they are ready to be weaned. They will stop nursing midway and look around, or maybe not nurse as often since solid food makes them less dependent on breast milk for nourishment. Once they get teeth seems like a good time. Mine were 10 months and 11 months old when I weaned them which meant I slept on the sofa in the living room while Dad got up with them for a few nights. You will have a harder time weaning them alone since your scent makes them want to nurse more profoundly and your breasts will be hurting pretty bad for about a week. I bound mine with an elastic wrap very tightly and didn't take it off for a week except to change the disposable nursing pads.
    flightless

Answer by flightless at 5:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Put her to bed, (give her a bottle) read her a book, say goodnite this is bedtime. Sweet dreams
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 2:11 AM on May. 1, 2011