If you Are a christian and u eat pork ..doesn't the bible clearly state that the flesh of swine is unclean ?.... some argue..

that this rule was written for the people in those days because they did not practice proper food handling techniques like refrigeration etc. i guess my question is why are some rules in the bible broken with the ever present excuse of.. "god was talking to the people of that era" OR "this clearly does not apply to us today" why pick and choose which rules apply to you and which rules doesn't. is it a matter of convenience/(defiance) to suit the life you want to live ? why not the life you were told to live as "christians" ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm Jewish, I keep kosher, so I don't eat pork (or any other "unclean" animals). It's a common misconception that these laws were created for some physical reason and that's why some people- including some Jews- mistakenly believe those laws don't apply today. You ask any Orthodox Jew why they keep kosher and the answer is simple- it's G-d's law, not ours to change or abolish because it makes no logical sense to us. The consequences of eating non-kosher animals are spiritual in nature, not physical and our spiritual needs are eternal, they don't change with the times in the way our physical needs do.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:49 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Thank you! I am glad someone brought this up, why are rules broken or "no longer apply" who decides that...
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The whole Bible has to be looked at, both Old and New Testaments, and the contexts. Single verses or even single passages cannot be used as the basis to make or refute an argument. As for the dietary laws in particular, most students of the Bible hold that there are still some health benefits in following the Old Testament dietary laws but they also contend that the New Testament does away with all legalism by the power of the Holy Spirit.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Why does it matter to one who isn't that religion? That's MY question.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The prohibition against eating pork (as well as other "unclean" animals) was practical rather than religious. The principle is essentially this - animals deemed "unclean" by God, were not offensive to God, but rather were literally not clean to eat. The "unclean" animals that God created were not proper for eating because they were created with the expressed purpose of being the world's garbage disposers. Pigs eat ANYTHING! So they are good at getting rid of waste that might otherwise clutter up or even be dangerous to the world and to humans. Pigs were kept, not for meat, but for consuming waste. Because they consume waste, their meat is riddled with toxins that are bad for the human body. The difference between OT and NT prohibitions is not that Christians pick and choose what to follow, it's that in OT times eating unclean foods kept the Jews from fellowship with God, and therefore it was a sin to consume the food .....
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 5:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• .... Christ later came along and specifically "nullified" that particular law, not because pork suddenly became healthy (it still isn't), but because Christians get to fellowship with God on Christ's merit and not our own. IOW, it is no longer a sin to eat unclean foods. Some of us Christians still choose not to eat pork and the other foods deemed unclean, because the practical principles still apply.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 5:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• mmmmmmmm BACON!!!!!!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• This is found in the old testament. It no longer applies after the rebirth of Christ
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It has nothing to do with picking and choosing. I don't eat pork, because I don't like it, but I think that digging and finding some of the reasons for these laws doesn't invalidate the ones that we believe still hold value. And I think you're misunderstanding the point of Levitical law - for one, it is *Jewish* law, pertaining to Jewish standards of purity and holiness. It doesn't deal with sin, really, but with ritual cleanliness and rites and so forth - at least from what I understand. I believe Paul, when opening up the Christian movement to Gentiles, realized that he couldn't expect non-Jews to live as Jews do, in the way that is intended to set Jews apart. Not to mention, Jesus showed us that it's not about the legalization, the ritualization, that matters. It's about the heart, the passion, the love for God and our fellow man that makes the difference. (cont)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. Romans 14:14 (emphasis mine).

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in tthe Holy Spirit. Romans 14:17

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 6:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011