Why do dogs like rolling in the dirt?

This morning I took my golden retriever a bath only for her to run to the ground and roll in the dirt :/
Why do they do this? All dogs I'm sure she just never did it before.
Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Cause their stupid. lol. I really have no idea. My pibble does the same thing.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The shampoo scent actually doesn't smell good to them and may be overwhelming. Remember our dogs can smell a lot better than we can. Think of drowning yourself in stinky perfume and then have no way to get it off of you! You'd roll in whatever you could too.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• at least it wasn't poop she rolled in... ew.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• What kind of shampoo do you use? The scent could be overwhelming. Try baby shampoo or baby powder scented dog shampoo. they still smell nice and it won't kill your dog's nostrils.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The bath could also have left some conditioner in their coat, too much for their comfort. By rolling in the dirt they are breaking up the oils left behind with dry, dusty dirt. If their fur is left to matted down, it is mildly irritating- their used to feeling airy all over. Think of it like feeling your own hair sprayed or grease down for the first time and how strange it felt.
    Cats will roll through the dirt to scent and also the fine dust from a dirt bath will help alive any flea problems by the way.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 8:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Sometimes they do it because they itch but mostly they find some nasty smell and like to roll in it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• itch, scratch, playful..... and to make more work for their owners, lol
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:03 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Some things that stink to us smell good to dogs so they roll in. Dogs are pack animals and when they find an interresting smell, they want to bring it back to the pack...it's like saying, "Hey, look (smell) at what I found!"
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:38 PM on May. 3, 2011