Providing alcohol

Would you provide alcohol for your not quite 21 year old child? What if it was just with family? I am not talking about a younger teenager.. More like 18-20.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• no. 21 and over yes. it is not worth the risk of getting in trouble.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yes, if she was almost 21 & we were having a family celebration, i would allow her to drink if we were home or at a private residence.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• In my state parents are allowed to provide alcohol as long as they are present.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Touchy subject. LOL
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes.  My dd is 18 and the drinking age is 19 where we live.  My dh and I both grew up where the legal drinking age is 18.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If its legal in your state then okay.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• What state do you live in and what is the law stating?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Well, the legal drinking age here is 18, so he could get his own. But I also know that many provinces and states have laws that allow parents to give their underage children alcohol - not providing it and sending them on their way, but wine with dinner, a beer or mixed drink at home with family. I do plan on offering it like that to my kids (my oldest is only 12 now) just like my parents did for me. It taught me that alcohol is not the evil thing it is made out to be, nor the wonderful thing some make it out to be. And I was able to feel/understand the effects of it in a safe environment vs at a party where anything could happen.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• In my state I can serve my own child alcohol under my roof before age 21 so at 18 they will be allowed to have a beer or the equivalent from time to time. When we allow him to get 'drunk' is another story but the first time he chooses to be so stupid as to drink himself into oblivion I prefer it be at home where he is safe and sound and we can cut him off before he gets out of control. Her is a run down of each states laws but I don't know when it was last updated so double check!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011