Can I start giving my 11 month old whole milk?

She just turned 11 months. We are on WIC for formula and have about 9 cans left. We are having another baby this fall so I want to save the formula for the new baby. I want to exclusively breastfed new baby but want to have the formula as a back up in case it doesn't work. In the meantime, we are stock piling on more formula by using coupons and when it's on sale.

We want to be independent from WIC when the new baby comes. Nothing wrong with that, right? Don't want to spend others' tax money to help take care of my kid. Oh wait, we are working taxpayers too. That doesn't matter because all people on any form of PA are lazy bums. Right? Isn't that the consensus here?

Okay, now I'm off my soapbox.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The main source of nutrition, in the entire first year, should come from formula and/or breast milk. *I* wouldn't start milk yet, but others have.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I say you need to work her body into the milk in the first place. Do like 3/4 formula & 1/4 milk for a week. After that keep moving your way to all milk. Good Luck. Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Well,hopefully the next one will tolerate that brand/type or all your efforts will be for nothing.
    I'd start mixing the whole milk in 25%,then 50% and so on til its all whole

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The breastfeeding WILL work you CAN do it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Maybe invest in a Medela pumop in style, I know a lot of woman go thru a phase of thinking they don't have enough milk because their LO is going thru a growth spurt, you just have to keep them at the breast and your body will adjust, I went thru it too!! Good luck, and God bless with the new baby :) and NEVER be ashamed of being on WIC, they are there to help!!!
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 5:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• the addvice givin in uk is no cow milk as a drink till over 1 year old but you can use it in cooking from 6 months
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I started my twins on whole milk at 11 1/2 months. their pedi recommended we started weening them onto it at that age. it went well for us, except it made them constipated a bit so we struggled with that.. you could do half milk half formula at first, if your worried about the nutritional value.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Well my son refused to drink his formula starting at 8 months he didnt want his bottle anymore so I talked to the doc and they said it would be fine but they didnt like the fact i was giving 2% cause they said a child needs the sugar for brain development so the suggested i put choc or strawberry syrup in the milk but i never did couldnt see my children all jacked up or even expect it all the time and now my son is a 7 year old healthy boy
    cmwillo

Answer by cmwillo at 8:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 2:06 AM on May. 1, 2011