Booster seats

Is your kid still in a booster seat? I see a lot of kids that are smaller than my kid not in booster seats, sitting in the front seat, or bouncing around the back seat. I am anal about my kid being buckled and in a booster. Even though legally she does not need it; I feel she is still to short.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've seen both. I guess it's whatever the parents feel comfortable with within the legal guidelines.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If the car is moving the kids are in seatbelts in the back seat.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My son is 5 and is still in a booster seat. He just got switched to it less than a year ago. I see it too, kids WAY younger and smaller than my son in just a seatbelt. There's no way a seat belt fits them, my son is big and the seatbelt is right in front of his face if he doesn't use his booster.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My kids are 4 and 7. The car doesn't go unless their butts are in booster seats and they are buckled properly. They both graduated out of car seats YOUNG, but met the height/weight requirements no problem. My 4 year old's booster has the back still attached, and my 7 year old only has the seat part. He makes the weight to graduate out of it, but is still about 6 inches shy of the 4'9" requirement. They will be in their booster seats UNTIL they meet the requirements and no longer need them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My daughter is 8 and is legally the right age to not be in a booster but she is still too short for the seat belt so yeah she is still in a booster. This one chick criticized me for still having my kids in a booster. She took her kids out or theirs at 4 and 6 years old. She's crazy! Something so simple could save lives. I just don't understand why folks don't understand that.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Ds just turned 6 and is still in his highback booster. He's about 45 inches tall and 53 pounds I think. He started Kindergarten this year still in a 5pt harness and moved to a booster a few months ago. Unfortunately, I see kids in his class riding around in the front seat, no seatbelt even.

My 9 year old neighbor was in the front seat of her cousin's car the other day, not wearing a seatbelt, and they had an accident. Luckily she wasn't hurt but even after that, they still don't make her use a seatbelt! Grr. I'm crazy about car seat safety and seatbelt use...dh & ds were in a crash on the freeway when ds was 2...going 65MPH, rolled the car 3 times..thanks to proper car seat use, ds was fine. Thanks to seatbelt use, dh was fine (all he got was a cut elbow from crawling over broken glass to get to ds, car was upside down)
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 12:44 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My 8yr old son just got out of one, now on the other hand my 7, 4 yr olds are still in one,do what u think is best.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 5:48 PM on May. 3, 2011