My 11 year old is grounded from listening to her ipod this weekend. Now she is in her room listening to the radio. Do I punish or comend her for finding that loophole?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Kids are so literal - if you said no Ipod, then the radio is fair game.

But I would go into her room & start singing along with the radio. That should be punishment enough.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 1:50 PM on May. 9, 2011

• If your intentions were to restrict her listening to music, I would say she is disobeying your rules. That's nothing to commend, rather you need to follow through with your discipline and make sure she obeys.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think I would just inform her that the radio is included and see what her response is. If she cops an attitude then add to the punishment. If she just deals with it then let it go.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well i wouldnt say she was slick for finding the loophole cause it would make her try to find loopholes in all her punishments and it can turn into a problem i would let it go cause you did say just the Ipod.... Good luck
    cmwillo

Answer by cmwillo at 8:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• if you said no ipod, then it is no ipod. add ons are not really fair, in my opinion... I would just ignore the radio if it were me.
    got2boyztoo

Answer by got2boyztoo at 11:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If it were my kid, I would tell her I was disappointed in her for finding a way to break the rule. She knew she was being punished and found a way to get around it. If you let her get away this time, then she will always look at your rules as unimportant.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:41 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My exact words were "No ipod until Monday." I didn't even think about the radio. She hasn't touched it since getting the ipod. I agree with Shaken. See how she reacts to my authority and reward or correct her accordingly.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I asked my hubby about it lol....If we didnt specify electronic devices then we would probably let her get away with listening to the radio and just remember the NEXT time, to include it in the punishment
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• LOL, for sure Lucky209. Gotta make sure I cover all the bases next time.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree with lucky, if you said specifically "ipod" you didnt say music.... I think it would be unfair to "rewrite the contract" at this point
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 6:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2011