I have a 16 month old son potty train or not to potty train right now

He is filling up his diapers always peeing through I have tried every brand! But nothing works so I do alot of laundry. He pulls off his Diapers and plays with his poop when he is suppost to be naping and will not sleep in a poopy diaper! But he doesn't know how to say potty or tell me when he needs to go I'm just tired of doing so much laundry and giveing him baths cuz he slept in pee or he has poop every where when he can do that

Everettsmom163

Asked by Everettsmom163 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, thats too young for training. He might be okay to introduce the potty, but to expect him to tell you...NO way. Just put a onsie on him or something he can't get undone. This is the prime age for stripping down. Just comes with the territory but has nothing to do with PT.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If he can't tell you he needs to go then he is not ready in any way for potty training yet in my opinion.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 2:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That might be a little early but if you can see the signs that hes ready for it then by all means go ahead.
    Anonymous

• I wanted to start my little girl last month at 14 month but the doc told me not to start potty training her till she is able to tell me that she needs to go. He told me that with parents that start before there kids are at least 2 have it so much harder most give up because there kids are not getting the hang of it then they don’t want to go when it is time to potty train them. You may just have to wake your son up at night to change him so that he is not wetting out of the diaper. That will cut back on the baths and the laundry also. You can try and not give him anything to drink an hr and a half before bed. That has helped with my little girl. Also you may need to cut back on how much he is drinking during the day. The doc told me that my 15 month old only needs 2 to 4 cups a day. (that is the 4 oz cups) good luck
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My little girl is 16 mo and I have a fear that she will take her daper off! lol. I always put her to bed in a onesie and don't seem to have any problems. Try buying the diaper a little big, she should wear a 3 so we buy 4s. We have only had maybe 1-2 leaks in her life! We use pamper swaddlers... Also, I do not think that it is too early to potty train... just start by introducing him to the potty, make sure he gets comfortable with it, and don't push it. I started 2wks ago and she is doing great.. BUT.. she lets me know when she needs to be changed by bringing me a diaper or pointing to her diaper saying, "Ought ohhhh" lol. Good luck!
    ShannonRiddle

Answer by ShannonRiddle at 2:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thank you guys for all your advice
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 6:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2008