How do you do car seats if you drive an old vintage car that doesn't have seatbelts?

My friend drives an old car that doesn't have seatbelts in the back. She says since it doesn't have seatbelts, her kids don't need carseats. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Umm, she doesn't need to drive it without seatbealts ESPECIALLY if she has kids in the car.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• That is unbelievable!!! SHe might get ticketed and she s really taking a chance. They haven't made cars like that in over 30 years!Holy cow.What is the car?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It's not safe and i'm pretty sure it's illegal. Ummm....maybe you could have them installed? ...but I would really look into her getting a new car.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• WOW.. they wouldnt be in the car!!! its against the law!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think your friend is a dipshit
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• She refuses to have seatbelts installed because it will ruin the authenticity of the car. It's a VW Beetle. I'm not sure of the year, but I think she said 1965. Apparently if the car was made without seatbelts then it's legal to drive/be a passenger in it without seatbelts, but I don't know if that's true for children. I'd rather ruin the authenticity than let my kids get killed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No her kid's DO need them and if she gets stopped by a cop she's in for a huge surprise, not to mention the tickets for each child not being in a car seat AND not having a seat belt on and CPS taking her kid's away from her.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No a 1965 VW HAD seat belts. Someone restored the car and put in older VW model seats. Seat belts came into full use in the early 50's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Children need to be in car seats regardless. If she's unwilling to have them installed, then the kids should NOT be riding in that vehicle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2011