Calling all nurses or medically trained people: Blood clot question

I just received a call saying my son was being taken by ambulance to the hospital for a blood clot in his leg. He had back surgery a few weeks ago. I don't know if that is relevant but am adding that just in case. He's 38. He lives 3 states away so I don't know what to do. Go there? Wait? Chances he will actually die from it? I know very little about medical things so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Asked by admckenzie at 7:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Health

• Unless the Dr. was treating him with Coumadin (blood thinner) thinking it would help. Let me know how he is.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Blood Clot in the leg can be very dangerous. It can travel to his heart if not treated asap. Who called the ambulance and how did they know it was a blood clot? He's in good hands now and hopefully you'll hear soon about his condition.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• His dad called the ambulance. I'm not sure who told him he had a blood clot. The way I heard it is that he already knew but if that's true why would a doctor let him walk around with a blood clot? I'm still waiting for new info

Comment by admckenzie (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It is called a DVT, google it to get more info they can travel but most get lodged in the leg and the Dr will put him on anti coagulation meds like a heparin Drip if he stays in the hospital and them coumadin. A lot of the time the body will take care of the clot. Many of our pts went home after a few days on meds and were fine. Any surgery can put a person at risk for DVT. Keep us posted
    Anonymous