Is my sons speech delayed?

He's 20 months old and he only says a handful of words (half which I can't even get him to say on demand). He has said no, car (co) ball (ba) mommy, daddy, go and doggie (oggie or og). I can't get him to speak more or often, he tends to just grunt or make happy/mad noises when I ask him questions.

I'm worried because most of the other kids his age speak well and have been talking for a while, while he still talks like a baby for the most part.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like there is a possibility that he could benefit from some speech therapy. I of course am no therapist and I have never head your child talk... but it would be a great idea to mention your concerns to your ped on the next regular check up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My son does the same thing and he is now 23 months. But now, getting closer to his birthday, he's started saying more a little at a time. I wouldn't worry unless he still isn't talking much by 30 months, however, I would talk to your ped if you're concerned. Make sure he's looking at you when you're trying to teach him a word, exaggerate lip ant tongue movement and make him ask or at least try before you give him something he wants.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i agree about the ped part but as for the delay, im having the same kind of questions but the daycare hasnt been concerned about it so i think its okay.
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Well my oldest (he is 4 and 1/2 now) didn't say anything at that age. He was delayed and we did do speech therapy. He's fine now. My youngest is 21 months and talks alot and puts words together...basic thing like "I want milk" or "Mommy, daddy go bye-bye?". Every kids is different. Talk to your pediatrician about it. They cant point you in the right direction.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• We had our son evaluated at 17 months as he wasn't saying anything. He was border line so they said wait until his 2nd birthday. At 20 months he really started talking and from 20-24 months he was like a completely different toddler. If you're concerned, talk to your doctor! Good luck!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my son started speech therapy when he was 23 months - he could only say a few words.. he is now 27 months and is talking in sentences.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 7:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• He's perfectly fine. Some kids don't even start speaking properly until they're almost three months old.
    As long as he's trying. Just keep talking to him and encouraging him to speak.
    If you're truely worried them talk to his pediatrician.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If you feel in your heart that he is behind on speech then see if you can get him a therapist. My son was the same way and I just knew it was something wrong with his speech at that age, so I was able to go through some state funded program and some lady came to my house and tested his skills. I was mad because she was testing everything except his speech. I never said he was a slow learner but he just didn't talk. anyways she told me he was too young to tell if he needed speech therapy. But I still had that feeling and it was evident that he need help talking. So when he turned 3, I was able to get him a speech therapist by going through his pediatrician. he went for a few months and it helped a lot. He's 5 and speaks well now.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My son was born with a minor cleft palate and fluid in the ears so his speech is delayed. Febuary of 2010 he started preschool to help his speech and it's improved greatly with preschool and before that in home speech therapy, the first surgery to fix the cleft palate and ear tubes in 2009 and another surgery last month on his palate. Ever since last month's surgery, our little guy's speech isn't nasally and is more clear. Check with your local school system about speech therapists. Hubby and I read to our son and that helps too. Even the school teachers that Junior have said read to your child.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My son whose now 5yo. had been in speech therapy for 6months, from when he was 3 1/2. In his case, me and his dad were concerned about his repeating himself and other people's words too much, and he was not answering questions with yes or no. Speech Therapist said average 3yos. can say about 3-5 word sentences and similarly, average 24mo. old toddlers are just expected to say 2-3word combos. It is also useful to know that boys have the tendency to be delayed in their speech more than girls.
    Make him stand in front of the mirror while he plays, or make him blow bubbles, make faces with him and make him imitate that.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 8:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011