I was just wondering...

So, I'm relatively new to CM, and I just found this "Politics and Current Events" section. I was all excited since I am a polysci major and I was reading through some of the recent posts to see what kinds of stuff is being talked about, and I must say, you all disappoint me. Where's the discussions about war, famine, and the current state of our government? You all are so gung-ho to bash eachother about whether or not gay marriage is a sin or talking circularly about why you all feel the need to bash eachother. Maybe its just b/c I am a political sci major, but I thought there would be much better content here...

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 12:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You have to remember that they typical cafemom member is probably about 18- 24 with no college or work experience. There are people on here who don't even know what a supreme court justice is and which political party currently controls the house.

But you should start some questions!!!!!!!!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It's an online group, not the McNeil/Lehrer News Hour. **smile** There have been very few really intelligent discussions of political issues here....just a lot of emotion.

But...why don't you go ahead and ask a question and see what happens?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You do make a good point, anonymous 10:54...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There are some political debate groups here too :) Go to "groups" and search. There's a smart chicks debate group :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• then why are you bashing instead of posting political questions? on BTW gay marriage is a political question and also a current event.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It comes and goes. For days we'll have good questions - and then someone will bring up a welfare question, and there it goes....

Don't give up hope. It's been crappy for several days, we're due for a good one.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• She is not bashing at all!!! She is asking why there are not many insightful questions and discussions!
    Anonymous

• She is asking why there are not many insightful questions and discussions!

like this one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• To "Anonymous 10:57" Yeah, so, I wasn't "bashing", I was simply asking so I could see if there were some decent people on here willing to discuss real stuff before wasting my time asking a "decent" question...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 1:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Cafe mom is made up of a wide variety of mothers. We come from varied cultures and sub cultures. Some of us have post grad degrees. Some of us don't even have a GED. You cannot expect scholarly content in a forum such as this. But, I wonder if it made you feel smart to post your question. Please allow me to share one of my favorite quotes with you (if I may be so bold) ;)

"Never seem wiser, nor more learned, than the people you are with. Wear your learning, like your watch, in a private pocket: and do not merely pull it out and strike it; merely to show that you have one."
    ~ Lord Chesterfield
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2008