Ok moms out there....I need someone's advice...... This is my first really awful injury with one of my kiddos!

Ok so my son and daughter were playing. my daughter (the alien age 2) and my son (superhero trying to blast the alien age 4) were running around. Our kitchen is somewhat awkward to our living room (you cant see into the kitchen when walking in from living room and its not an open kitchen it has a door way) and has now taken the name of the "blind spot." And I have since brought back out the baby gate so neither one can get in the kitchen. Well The alien ran into the kitchen, superhero chased (while mommy was just getting the "Lets stop" out of her mouth, didnt even get "Running" out) and at some point the alien turned to run out. BOOM! Well after the collision, my poor baby alien girl had fallen back and hit her head perfectly on the corner of the doorway. She started crying right away which is a good sign, but she had a small gash in her head (which i didnt know was small at that point, I saw blood and ran to the ER). I had to explain to my bawling son, while running red lights, that it wasnt his fault, he was crying so bad (she wasnt) that the people in the ER thought he was the one needing to be seen. He told the nurse "Im just a little nervous and worried, it was an accident. I dont want my sister to stay here." It was so sad, after all the paperwork i was able to sit with him and explain accidents happen and that his sister was here to make sure everything was ok, and that the er was the right place to be. That seemed to calm him down. So anyways my alien girl walked away with some head bling (lol) 4 staples to be exact. But my question is, Do you think if the doctors saw any need for a cat scan or xray they would have done it? I mean they just sent her home, and she seems to be doing fine. She knows her name, answers my questions, shes walking (she was able to do this right after it happend). I did express my concern to the doc and nurses about maybe getting an xray, but they said that this is so common with kids ages 2-5 (she said they do this on the daily) and its very rare that they need to do an xray or catscan. All in all YES kids are resilent, YES she is most likely fine, YES she will heal quicker than me and YES I am a complete wreck over this whole situation. But has anyone had experiences like this? Maybe you could share and help me put my mind at ease?

Steph4304

Asked by Steph4304 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Kids' Health

• They would have done their test and known that she didnt need that. The biggest accident any of my kids has had was my 1st, Nataleigh. She was almost two and I was sitting on the couch feeding my other baby and Nataleigh walked next to the other couch and tripped over her feet and bumped her head on the end table. At first I thought she was fine, she was crying but not badly, and then she turned to me when I told her to come to me and I saw her ear cut in half, not all the way maybe an inch. at first it wasnt bleeding but then it started to badly and I freaked! we rushed her to the hospital, she was fine 5 mins after it happened but I was a wreck, they had to strap her down and put this glue stuff on because it would be easier. I was terrified for her, but shes perfectly fine now:) stay strong!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• She's fine, head injuries are the worst as far as scaring the hell out of a parent or superhero, because they bleed ALOT! When our son was 4 a big door hit him in the forehead and from all the bleeding I would have sworn he'd pratically cut his forehead off! 2 hrs in the ER and a few stitches with a Mickey Mouse we were sent home. Honestly, I felt they should have wrapped his whole head because of the blood loss just to make ME feel better, lol Your little alien and superhero have just made a life long memory, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• You were right in how you explained it to your son. Later on just sit him down and reiderate that he did nothing wrong. That it was an accident and you hope that doesn't discourage him from playing with his sister. That she'll be perfectly fine.

To answer your question, yes if they saw any need for any cat scans or X-Rays they would've done it. Just keep an eye on her, but it sounds like she's doing perfectly fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I know, thats exactly what my husband said. he told me "Stephanie, your going to be able to tell this story at their weddings and laugh one day about it, now stop freaking out! Kids arent that fragile, they bounce back" ?<--------Yes thats easy for him to say when he was climbing on the roof and jumping off at age 6 lol. he doesnt understand, those are my babies I NEVER want them to be sick or get hurt!! No mother does!
    Steph4304

Comment by Steph4304 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• ALL YOU MOMS ARE AWESOME!!!! THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR KIND WORDS!
    Steph4304

Comment by Steph4304 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think that unless she was showing some signs other than pain from a corner to the head and staples, they probably didn't need to run the test. If they saw something that was indicative of her having internal damage or a concussion, they may have done more, but if she is alert and not behaving abnormally, I wouldn't worry too much. Things happen. Just watch her and go back if you think you need to later on...but like you said, she is probably just fine.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I hear you, they hurt, you hurt. They're sad, so are you, lol My babies are now 24 & 20. Lots of memories and over the years some have been greatly exaggerated,lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• hope all is well :) you'll never forget the 1st bad owie, broken bone, etc. calm calm calm
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• she'll be fine. I remember when I was 7 my brother & I were running and I hit my head. I needed stitches, but while he was waiting for my parents to get home (they were literally gone 10 minutes) he was trying to calm me down by telling me he could see my brain!

It's a funny story now :)
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I assure you ER's do not hesitate to do x-ray's if there is any chance it's necessary. Trust me when DH thought our 6 month old swallowed a AA battery in 3 seconds, they didnt even bat an eye and rushed him back to x-ray. (Like I told DH, The kid chokes on bananas, but you really think he swallowed a battery?!?)
    I'm sure she's fine. If it makes you more comfortable you can wake her every few hours, to check on her. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:30 PM on May. 3, 2011