Do you let your kids play outside alone?

Do you let your kids play outside alone? If so, how old are they and at what age did you let them?

justme782

Asked by justme782 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My kids have been playing outside alone for years. Since the older kids were 5, 6 and 7. As long as they were all outside they could play in front of the house without me. They are now 10, 9, 8 and 5 and they run all over our neighborhood here. The 5yo is just now getting more independence and can be in our driveway alone (before she had to have her siblings with her). They even take their baby brother (9 months) for walks around the neighborhood and to the park down the street. They come and go as they please when it's nice outside. They just tell me the general area they plan to be (on the street, the park, whose house).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:25 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Mine are 6 and 7. They play in the yard but cannot leave the yard alone.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My older kids are 11 & 13 and I have let them outside on their own probably since 6 & 8. I can see and here them from every room in my house so it isn't a big deal. They also watch their younger brother outside and have for the past 2 or so years, he is now 6.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• We let our 4 year old play out in the backyard alone, but we frequently check on him. We have a 6 ft tall wooden fence and he can't get the gates open on them (we made sure of that).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yes i allow my children to play outside alone they are 7 and 3 but we also have a fenced in yard and a Lab that is with them 24-7 and im up checking on the all the time i think it all depends on where you live and if and the situation of your yard
    cmwillo

Answer by cmwillo at 8:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yeppers. I started letting him play outside alone when he was 2.5 years old. Now, he just lets me know that he is going outside and out he goes. He is 5 now.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 8:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Joking!!! We do have a 6 ft privacy fence around our backyard, but I love love love to be outside so if I am home I will be outside with him. My dh is the same way so we are an outdoors kinda family.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 8:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• We live in a small town and have lived outside of the city limits i.e. "the country" and in town on one of the main streets. Outside alone in the backyard, they were about three and half but only for a couple of minutes with me running to the bathroom (which over looked the back yard so I could still see them). Of course the rule was they had to stay on the swingset or in the backyard (very small) where I could see them through the windows. If they couldnt do that (we practiced) then they had to go in with me.
    katt_1025

Answer by katt_1025 at 4:55 AM on May. 1, 2011

• My boys have played outside by themselves since about 5, we live in a really small town and I could always see them outside. I never worried much. I imagine if I did live in a bigger city I might have thought twice.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:32 PM on May. 1, 2011