What do you consider murder?

Is putting down a family pet murder if they have a medical reason to do so (such as rabies)?

Is pulling the plug on a loved one on life support murder?

what if that plug is you and the loved one is the baby inside you that you know and doctors know is not going to make it more than another week because it's sibling inside (which has already died) is killing the on still partially alive AND you? are you the murderer? is the sibling that is already passed a murderer?

please answer all if the following above.

Then tell me:
Would you call any of these people murderers to their face? or just the person who had the abortion because abortion is murder and you dont care about the situation, the pain it caused the family, or the story?

do you feel guilt when you say murderer after you heard their story? Or do you just say : oh well thats different, doesnt count. well yes, technically it does count. you have to fill it out on your medical records. it doesnt go away. yet now i not only have to carry the pain of the situation but i have to carry the word murderer on top of it?

This is why i think others really should think before they speak. I made the suggestion to say "unnecessary medical abortion" when you speak out against abortions, and nobody but one person said that was a better way to put it. Instead they all defended their right to call someone a murderer. So I ask, what EXACTLY do you consider murder? Is it taking a life regardless of the situation, be it a stranger threatening your family, your pet, your loved one on life support? Or are just certain things considered murder?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 7:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• the abortion thing...... I personally would opt for a radical surgery. Remove dead fetus, close uterus, try and save remaining baby.

If this was not possible I suppose I'd have no choice but to abort. I am entirely pro life. But my husband could not raise our 2 existing kids alone without me, he's told me this many times. So I'd be making a moral sacrifice for the sake of my existing family. .... but 1st I'd call every NICU and pre natal surgeon in the country and try and find someone to do pre-birth surgery.q
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• so not all abortion is then murder? "

If someone has an abortion with a baby that is unable to survive, no, I do not think that is murder. "Spontaneous abortion", which is a horrible term for a miscarriage, is obviously not murder either.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• pets: if it's FINANCIAL I'd try to sign my rights over to the ASPCA or vet clinic if that would then enable pet to be saved. And/or call around to try and find a vet willing/able to work out a payment plan. I'd only actually pay to have a pet put down if there was a court order required me to (IE rabies) or it was suffering from something like a bad cancer so severe that the pet pain pills were no longer keeping him/her comfortable.

pulling plug on people: I am against this. Miracles happen. They do. People wake up. Brains heal. Often not, but there's a chance, there's hope. There's time. I'd never pull a plug on any one for any reason and I hope they wouldn't for me either.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Isn't this pretty much the same question, just reworded? Same point.

I think that murder is the intentional taking of a life, unless there is no chance for survival for medical reasons. It goes for people of all ages, from a fetus to an old person. If they're able to live and their life is ended, it's murder.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• hibbingmom: I SAID medical reasons, not just because you no longer want the pet.. such as rabies, cancer, etc.

and I'm not just talking about coma patients.. there are patients out there, like the elderly, that are on it for a number of reasons.. such as my grandfather, who thankfully passed in his sleep before a decision had to be made... but both his lungs were completely shot and at his age and in his situation a transplant isn't going to happen. Death was going to be the only outcome.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• "I think that murder is the intentional taking of a life, unless there is no chance for survival for medical reasons. It goes for people of all ages, from a fetus to an old person. If they're able to live and their life is ended, it's murder. "

so not all abortion is then murder?
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• "Did you not READ all of the answers to your question? If you had, you'd know that this statement is FALSE. "

yes i did and really only one person took the time to consider it. while you may have admitted you didnt call it murder you did not disagree with others that did either. infact defended them
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• pet thing: I touched on both rabies AND cancer.... and I mentioned nothing about no longer wanting the pet. I would be willing to sign my rights over if I couldn't afford its medical care is what I said.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yes i did and really only one person took the time to consider it. while you may have admitted you didnt call it murder you did not disagree with others that did either. infact defended them "

Who did I defend, and how? I don't owe you anything. I don't have time to sit on Cafemom all day and respond to every person I disagree with. They have every right to their opinion, and I respect that. So should you. You may not like it, but you can't dictate how people feel about such a personal topic.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• And I didn't and would not call you a murderer for your situation, so stop trying to put words in people's mouths. I don't look down on people who had abortions for reasons like you did. I've actually told you this multiple times before in previous posts, but you chose to either forget or ignore that. I look down on people that have abortions as birth control. I have known women who have had MULTIPLE abortions, never trying to prevent getting pregnant. Getting pregnant multiple times with NO intention of keeping the baby is DISGUSTING. One girl actually said to me, "If I get pregnant AGAIN, I'll just have ANOTHER abortion". You can't expect people to relate to people like that. THAT is why I said that I can see how some people would call it murder.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011