We are thinking of moving from Western PA to a sunnier climate. Do you think it is better out west, like Nevada or south like Florida?

My husband and I are thinking of moving in a couple of years after our two kids graduate from high school. We have had a miserable, rainy cloudy winter and spring. Where do you ladies think the nicest places to live are? Out west where you have heat and no humidity or south where it is warm with the humidity?

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I grew up in NV and am now living in FL. If you move to NV, don't do Vegas it is not a place to raise kids, great to visit and have a fabulous time though or a seasonal house. You might look at AZ there are some really gorgeous places there, warm, and friendly.

I live in the Tampa Bay area. I like it but the humidity is killer and then the bugs are every were. But there is so much to do outdoors wise, and their isn't any sex on billboards.

You might also want to check out Great School.com to see which state has better stats and resources for the schools.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• well, i live in south florida, tho it is sunny, it is mostly hot and humid here. and it is very crowded here. lots of drugs and crime. i dont think it is the best place to live. just my opinion.
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I have to be super close to the ocean I couldnt live without it. But I dont have any advice bc I have spent my entire life in maine except a few vacations to florida. Hope you have a fun new adventure though when you get there!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I just vacationed in Cape Coral/Ft. Meyers Florida and I loved it! I'd move to Cape Coral in a heartbeat if dh would sell the house! Absolutely beautiful! We go to NV on vacations every year, mostly Vegas, not crazy about the desert heat, tumble weeds erc. So I suppose it depends on what you can handle. Humidity or dry, arrid heat.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I live in Gilbert, AZ about 20 miles from Phoenix. I LOVE it here and would never dream of living anywhere else!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It depends do you like hot and dry or hot and humid?

Now a days you will find crime and drugs all over unless you move to the moon. just some areas highlight it more than others in the news and you may see it more in some areas than others.

Good luck on making a choice and best wishes for a happy move.....
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 11:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I grew up on the Gulf Coast. It is absolutely miserable the months of July and August. The humidity is like a hot wet blanket thrown over you as soon as you walk outside. You start sweating as soon as you get out of the shower! There are essentially 2 seasons, hot or cold. Other than Dec and Jan (the cold season), the humidity will give you a bad hair day every single day! The bugs are horrific. It took me 2 years after moving away to stop flinching when I saw a knot in the woodwork out of the corner of my eye. I would think it was one of those flying tree roaches *gag*, and I can vividly recall how they sound when they fly, and the panic when one lands on you or in your hair ). I'm sorry to be so graphic, but I really don't have good memories of FL, except for the amazing sailing and boating. So, I think that means I would prefer out west. LOL You just have to stay hydrated and moisturized, and you have less yard care!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:02 AM on May. 1, 2011

• If you go to NV make sure you research the weather. I am from northern NV and you get all four seasons there. And it does snow up there. But the heat isn't so bad because there isn't the humidity like the south. Southern NV is very nice, but like a previous poster said Las Vegas is not where you want to raise kids. But it is a great state if you are an outdoors type of person. As for Florida I am not sure.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 12:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Being a military veteran I have lived all over the US. The best parts weather wise are midwest and west. The further south you go the hotter it gets but you can stay a bit more to the north and have 4 seasons with mild winters or no winters. A few of my favorite cities are Los Angeles (or surrounding areas), Austin/San Antonio area, Dallas area, St. Louis is a fav citie for things to do and the weather is nice, you get 4 seasons. I like 4 seasons.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 6:42 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Nevada doesn't have the hurricanes...it's a dry heat.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:21 PM on May. 2, 2011