Does it hurt to breastfeed once baby has a tooth?

MOMMYOF4123456

Asked by MOMMYOF4123456 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, my son has also never bit so i don't know how that feels
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If they decide to bite then YES! However if they bite you calmly tell them no and remove them from the breast. set them in the floor ofr a few seconds then try again. They quickly catch in to biting interrupts my meal time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No not realy. Once they get the first tooth they do latch on harder because it is a new feeling. if they bite just squeeze their cheeks lightly and they'll let go...My 2nd child never bit, but my 4th one she bit after she got 2 teeth. it does catch you off gaurd at first.
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 8:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• They might change their latch for a day or two while the tooth is coming in, but other than that, their tongue and lips cover their teeth. If they bite, yes THAT hurts. But they must change thier latch right before in order to bite you, so you can catch it. They also usually bite at the end of a feeding. Try squeezing their cheeks, flicking their nose or setting them down and walking away if they bite or are about to bite. They figure out qucik that biting means no nursing.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I nursed my daughter till she was 19 months old and she never bit me once.
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 9:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Only when they bite. BOTH of my kids tried it with me. I flicked their cheek (not hard) and told them No Bite! I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times my kids bit me. They catch on quickly.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No, only if they bite. My daughter bit once - not hard though, she was testing waters - and it hurt pretty badly. There are ways to nip that in the bud though.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:32 AM on May. 2, 2011