Would you consider using a different term?

Okay so I apologize for venting on my other posts that I closed and being rude, however I feel very strongly about the misuse of a certain term.

Would you consider changing the phrase:"abortion is murder" to a more specific phrase such as "Unnecessary medical abortion's are murder". If you feel an abortion that isn't necessary is murder, I'm not here to change that opinion. My pet peeve is including ALL abortions as murder.

There are a lot of moms that have had to have abortions for medically life threatening reasons, and to be included with someone who just doesn't use BC and chooses to wait until the last minute to abort IMO is just wrong.

I don't think a lot of you realize how hurtful it can be to a person that had little to no choice in the matter. IMO mothers in those situations that are life threatening are no different than a family member having to choose to pull the plug on another family member because there is no hope for recovery.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 8:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I am pro choice and do not call it murder. I truly just ignore those who try to deliberately start an argument with their so called moral superiority. I find abortion is the term I use. It means what it means. I do listen but when it gets to be about I am better than you because you kill babies...I tune it out. I do not go into the need to save a woman's life or rape issue. Whatever the reason is a personal choice. I don't have time to debate - I advocate for women and children every day. I would rather devote my energy to that instead of debating some narrow minded person without a clue about real life.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:06 PM on May. 1, 2011

• It is a bit of sugar coating but in todays politically correct world you have to try and not offend people on such a hot button issue. Abortion is Murder, plain and simple. No matter what the reason is, it's still murder. When we had to pull the plug on my Mom 3 years ago It was Murder. I still feel guilty about it, it was murder. And my whole family agreed to it. Its not my place to point fingers at people who get abortions. They to will have to stand before God someday and explain themselves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• cbk...the medical term for a miscarriage is spontaneous abortion you do realize that right?

and i agree with you OP if a woman needs it for medical reasons (like she'll die if she carries to term,the babu has a serious deformation ect.ect.) then they shouldnt be called a "murderer"
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 9:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• How about "termination of a life" instead of your term? The both mean the same thing. Murder. But your phrase is just inflammatory to lots of people. I'm sure mine isn't much better in some folks eyes. But Im not throwing around the M word.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• the first ones were already "dead" when they passed through my body, the twins, i was 17 weeks and i started bleeding heavily, and they were almost gone when they had to remove them, my body wouldnt pass them thats why they removed them

but yes i agree that the brain and heart are the first to develop but the heart develops 4 weeks before the brain does, but also the fetus is living off of your blood and food, it doesnt even have developed lungs at the time that doctors perform abortions you need all these things to properly live, the lungs bring oxygen into your body which goes into the blood which also helps you to live if your lungs arent developed enough your heart will most likely stop from lack of oxygen, it also cant feel pain until 20-24 weeks at this point the part of the brain that can feel pain has developed
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 9:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• flipper i had to go to the doctors because i was bleeding worse then i would have on a normal period, they said i was miscarrying with my twins, and that my body wasn't passing them and i would hemorrhage if they didnt remove them which means i didnt have a full miscarriage with my twins , my other 4 my body passed the "dead" fetus as if i was just having a really heavy period

and a miscarriage doesn't necessarily have to mean the fetus is dead, it just means your body is rejecting it at some point, my twins were the oldest fetus' the other ones passed on their own like i said before
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 10:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Abortion is the shortened term for medical abortion. A spontaneous abortion is usually referred to a miscarriage or a fetal demise, even by most doctors now. Why? because a woman who just lost her baby doesn't want to hear "abortion" of any kind. So let's not get nit picky.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• anon they were miscarriages...my last one was considered an abortion since the fetus' (twins) were considered alive still but i say its a miscarriage since they said it was a partial miscarriage
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 11:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• no reason to sugar coat.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I myself have had an abortion to save my life.... I also had an abortion due to getting pregnat while using BC... I couldn't have the child due to so many chemicals from the BC I was on. The baby would have been still born or had major medical problems if it developed fully or not.

It is a very touchy subject for a lot of people and they all have some good points. I do feel it should never ever be used as BC for not only is it destroying the fetus it scars you up as well.

I do see your point of view and I have to agree with you. I would not want to be labled as a person who uses this method as BC. It is wrong.....
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 9:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2011