• In the Spotlight:

If you are fine with kids learning that its okay to be gay...........Would you be okay if your child was taught about Jesus and the Bible at school?

I know most of you here think the "Welcoming Schools" curriculum that teaches kids its okay to be gay is just fine... and that you'd have no prob with a kindergarten teacher reading stories like "king and king" - which already happens in MA....... so I was wondering what you think about teaching the Bible in schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that it's important to EDUCATE our children. Even if it means that they learn about gays, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and the Holocaust. It doesn't mean that they will hold those values, it just means that they have been educated about them.

KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• No, I wouldn't. And I homeschool to make sure that (religious indoctrination) doesn't happen.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I agree with KaceesMom. I would have no issue with my daughter being taught about Jesus and the Bible. The only thing that would bother me is if she was expected to believe in it above all else. There's nothing wrong with educating our kids about different religions and lifestyles. If kids are taught about being gay, they're not going to be expected to think that being gay is ALL there is. They're just being taught that everyone is different and people are allowed to make different choices.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I learned about the Bible in a PUBLIC university. I don't have a problem with it; the Bible is one of the greatest literary works of Western civilization.

Thing is...if the Bible is taught in a non-religious manner as it would have to be in a public school...a lo of religions would find themselves having to answer some uncomfortable questions about inconsistencies within it. And the Bible has more sex and violence than a lot of books that people have tried to have banned.

(to be continued)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• (continued from previous post)

It might open more cans of worms than you'd want...but I'm all for teaching the Bible as literature and teaching about Christ as a historical figure. No matter what you believe about His divinity (and I DO believe he is the Son of God), he is a seminal figure in world history. This planet would be a tremendously different place if things had gone differently; if he'd been killed by Herod, if he'd stuck to carpentry, if he HADN'T been arrested and crucified, if he'd only been arrested and not put to death. (Harry Turtledove wrote a very interesting alternate history novella based on the idea that Christ was arrested and dismissed as a lunatic. In that story, Rome never fell.)

One of the school districts in my county has added a course on the Bible as literature to its high school curriculum.

• so if they teach about Christianity are they also going to teach about other religions? are you okay with that op? teaching that is okay to be gay is teaching tolerance and has nothing to do with religion.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Well, there's a differene between teaching the Bible in school, and teaching ABOUT the Bible in school. Like KayceesMom said, it's important to educate. Education is the key to tolerance. However, I don't think anyone elses values or beliefs should be pressed on our children.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• "so if they teach about Christianity are they also going to teach about other religions?"

They SHOULD. Ignorance is what leads to hate and to wars. Education is the key to understanding, and THAT is the key to real peace on Earth.

I WANT my son to learn ALL of that.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I wouldn't be okay with teaching my children that it would be okay to be ANYTHING. I would however be okay with them educating my children about different religions and cultures in a matter-of-fact type of education...not a "This is what's right" type of educating.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My son will be taught about all religions, and different lifestyle choices. If he ends up being gay - I'm fine with it. If he ends up following a religion I personally don't agree with - I'm also fine with that.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2008