Breast-Feeding.

I tried Breast-Feeding w/my first but gave up the first week, it was just to painful... What are ways for it to not be as painful?

Thanks.

ashleeranae

Asked by ashleeranae at 9:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It shouldn't be painful if you have a correct latch. You should really hook up with a Lactation Consultant next time in the hospital or find one through LLL - it can and will be uncomfortable in the beginning if you're not used to it of course but it doesn't last! One life saver for me was Lasinoh Lanolin, works wonders for sore breasts and nipples. But I highly recommend getting in touch with an LC and possibly even trying new positions. Good luck!
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 9:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Get in touch with a good lactation consultant...most hopsitals will have one on duty when you are there. Have them stop by to assist while in the hospital...they will also help after you have been discharged, you only have to ask.

It could be your latch or the position. Either way, they can help more than any doctor (which will push formula).

The hardest part is getting as much of the nipple in as you can. You will feel like you are trying to choke the baby but it won't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I've breastfed 5 babies, and with the first 2 consulted a LC. Each time we had the right latch. But it still hurt like hell. Some woman it doesn't hurt, some it does. Talk to an LC next time to make sure you have latch is right. If it is and its still painful, then it usually only hurts for a week or two. I know it sucks, but once you get past that part its worth it all. Plus I look back at how I stuck through it with each kid and I feel pretty proud of myself knowing that I made it through stuff like that.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Ask the nurses a lactaion consultant even people you know that have breastfed to show you again and agian and AGAIN if needed how to get the right latch. You may even want a lacation consultant to come to your home after a day or 2 to show you again. It will take you and the baby some time to get the hang of it.
    Lasinoh Lanolin is a GREAT cream for your nipples. If it wasn't for that stuff I probably would have given up too. It will be a little uncomfortable at first but it's not suppose to hurt.
    Once you and the baby get the hang of things it will be much easier. GL!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• The other ladies are right, lactation consultants are helpful. But know also that it does hurt, but only in the beginning...with both of my babies the pain went away by week 2. So just hang in there! Good luck to you!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yeah the first 2 wk is the hardest. It's painful with all the blisters even I keep using the nipple gel. It does get better tho after a month, it doesn't hurt anymore after all the blister healed and never had it after that one time.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Don't let people lie to you (im kidding, its not always a lie) But really even with the right latch it may hurt for a little while. Yes it sucks, yes it goes away. You need to just suffer through the pain while you build up resistance. After a month or so, (thats how long it was for me) the pain starts to go away and eventually is gone completely (until they start to bite o.o)

The best thing I can say, is use lanolin, before AND after. other things: when you take a shower, make sure its not too hot, and that you don't use soap on your nipples, it can dry them out and make it worse. Also talk to a lactation specialist, it can definitely help to make sure the latch is right.
    I wish you the best, because when the pain is gone, breastfeeding is one of the best experiences ever :)
    Cherrycatt

Answer by Cherrycatt at 10:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My son's pediatrician said that she's noted that fair-complected mothers (red-heads and blondes especially) have more sensitive nipples and that breastfeeding is often more painful long-term.

I'm in week three of breastfeeding, and nearly every time it hurts. Our latch is fine according to both pediatrician and two lactation consultants. It doesn't hurt when I pump, though.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:36 AM on May. 1, 2011

• It was very painful in the beginning for me, but I pushed past it because it's what is best. Eventually it won't hurt. you can do it :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:13 AM on May. 2, 2011