DH came home with a cat today!

I'm not really a cat person and he did not even mention getting a pet. I have my hands full with our extremely active 18 month old and can not imagine adding a pet right now!
DH tells me this cat is a boy. I happen to notice this evening that it is not only a GIRL, but pregnant! UGH! Plus, I am allergic!

Am I justified being upset? My mother-in-law thinks I am over reacting and being "unappreciative" of this surprise! What am I to do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• He didn't know you were allergic? If you're having trouble with allergies now, just wait till you get 4-9 little kittens in there too. Your hubby and his Mom are being selfish. It's as medical condition, not something you're chosing to be. He's chosing a cat he just met over the wife he's supposed to love and honor, protect and so such. Not to mention digging hair out of your kids eyes and mouth and clothes constantly. I do love cats tho, but I want them outside. Hope you got a litter box with a lid your child can't get in to I had to give away our beloved inside pet when my toddler grabbed some poop and thought it was a piece of chocolate but luckily I saw her just before she put it in her mouth but the dog was gone that day.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Normally I would say to try and be a bit more understanding, but since you're allergic you have every right to be totally pissed. Find a good home for the poor thing and give hubby a good kick in the rear!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Allergies trump everything. And he was really out of line to not consult you.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i myself am more of a dog person but my DH loves cats i hate going over to his parents house for that reason because they have like 3 cats and all if them inside. and one of them is real mean. but if you are allergic then he or you should give away to someone who wants it or leave it at a shelter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Um, if you're allergic then I can't see him wanting to keep it if it's going to make you miserable. I like cats, but another thing to think about is the baby. He/she may also be allergic, which can lead to some icky health problems (couging, congestion, headaches). AND if this is a female cat and she's prego, she may end up being mean if your little one does anything to upset her. Cat's claws can be very damaging..... Yup, I'm overprotective when it comes to pets and my kids but that is what moms do. You are totally not overreacting.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You know I normally don't condone sneaky behaviour but I would be inclined to take it to a cat shelter a distance away from my house and pretend to be really upset it escaped.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 5:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2008