Does your mom do this?

I am planning a Mother's Day Barbecue for Mother's Day and I invited friends and family to come. My mom tells me this morning it'd be better to post-pone it cause we just had Easter....two weeks from Mother's Day. Then she tells me that my brother wants to go and it would be a good idea to just reduce the party to family invites only. I tell her one of my friends already wants to come and that we're keeping it an open invitation to friends.

She hasn't said anything, but it just irritates the hell out of me how she tries to micro manage get-to-gethers that I try to organize. It's annoying!!!!!!!!!

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 9:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• It reminds me of an episode on Two and a Half Men.....
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Awww I love your name, Emmy. THat's what we call our youngest. =) And LOL. I never thought of that, but it certainly does.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My mother in law is like that. It drives me nuts! Just politely put your foot down and tell her YOU would like to deal with the planning.
    LeahsMommy361

Answer by LeahsMommy361 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I am lucky..... we keep my parents & my husbands parents separated at all costs so get togethers are low key and private. I feel for you though. Control freaks suck.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Does she not like big parties? I mean, is she uncomfortable with there being too many people there and she's trying to get you to cut it down to something she is more comfortable with, but just can't come out and tell you. Or does she just have to be part of the organizational part, and can't stand back and let you handle it all?
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 9:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I can see how that would be really annoying.
    I have the opposite going on with my parents....kind of. When I was sick and recovering from an illness I felt really bad a lot so getting out at all was hard. My parents would want to have a dinner and for me to come along. I'd ask them who was going because exposure to others was kind of a no no for me. She'd say, "Oh it's just going to be us." Then I'd get there and find she'd invited several people as well... some of which I had never seen before. When I said to her, "Mom, if I knew you were going to have all these other people I wouldn't have come. I don't feel good enough to mingle with people." She'd say, "You need to see more people, that's whats really wrong with you." Like the whole deal was a set up or something.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 9:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Mine didn't do that. Sometimes though mother's can't control their need to control.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• No thankfully but I do have to deal with her bitchy attitude, I don't know why but every holiday or birthday she's just in a pissy mood. My grandmother was that way too (well to her kids, to us grandkids she was as sweet as sugar lol) so its almost like when my grandmother died my mom felt as the oldest she should take the spot of family bitch. Even today - it was my dad's birthday and I didn't make his cake until around 2 this afternoon and she got pissed about that and I have no idea why since we didn't end up having the damn cake until after 7 so whether I made the cake before my folks got to the house wouldn't have made a difference. Luckily family gatherings are planned by a group of us, usually my aunt, a few cousins and myself - my mom stays out of it.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011