Is it a woman's right?

To have children that she can't afford to raise on her own with or without a father of the child or children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sometimes it isn't about rights. Sometimes they don't have a choice.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It depends on the situation. I had a child I could afford and then the situation turned where I had to leave my husband. I got food stamps for 2 months until I got a job.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Is it your right to tell them they should have children or not? To raise them on their own? To tell them to give up their children because they can't afford them? No. It isn't. It is the mother's decision and the mother's responsibility. It's up to you to either help her or just sit there and judge. I'd rather help. Judging doesn't go very far.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I sort of don't understand the question ......... but if you cannot afford a baby you (in my opinion) should not have the right to have one. Right now my kids are desperate for a dog. But I know with summer coming up we cannot afford the time and money of a dog, training classes, vet, shots, etc etc. It would be WRONG of us to get a dog. So we don't have the RIGHT. It would suffer, we would suffer.

I don't think a baby needs a daddy though. Just love, support, and enough money coming in to keep it warm, safe, comfortable, and maintained.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i think it is selfish. a child needs a father. just because single mothers manage to raise kids does not mean that kids do not need a father. i think the burning of the bras screwed with the minds of some women. i know that sometimes a father might get a woman pregnant and then he does not do the right thing and abandons the kids or the father is dead.. but i think it is foolish when a woman takes on the task purposely on their own.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• She has a right to have as many children as she can support. If she is expecting others to support them then it is our right to say NO to her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• this is a silly question.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• @gwen

I think you're answering the wrong question. Is it their right? You're just accusing them of being selfish. I don't think it's selfish for a woman to do everything she can for her babies, whether it's with or without the father's help. If she decided to get an abortion you'd still call her selfish anyway. SO you know what? A woman can't win either way. THIS SOCIETY SUCKS WHEN IT COMES TO WOMEN'S RIGHTS! We may have the rights and freedom but we're still prisoners of what society expects of us.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 9:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Everyone has the right, not everyone should exercise their rights though.
    For this to be answered correctly you would really need to judge the situation on a case by case basis.
    An example of someone who has a baby and can't afford it is subjective to things like the projections for the future and the age of the person. Like if a woman is just being to start a career that in the future will pay off wonderfully in both salary and benefits, but at the time she is poor and beginning to enter the point in her life when downs syndrome is a threat, then it isn't unreasonable for her to have a baby even if she can't afford it at that time.
    Now if a mom as them for more government benefits... I can't see this being a good reason.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 9:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Apparently women have all kinds of rights ignoring what is best for their children (born or unborn), so I guess so. Breeding like bunnies when they can't afford to feed the ones they already have........aborting because they "aren't ready" or "just don't want another one".......it's their body, so why not? Let them do with it what they want because apparently the rights of their body trumps everything else.
    Anonymous