My husband wants a Rottweiler but I am worried about having one around the kids.

He used to have one that he bottle fed and when I went to meet his family, she was already grown and she hated me. I couldn't sit or stand next to him without her growling at me. I was very scared of that dog. We ended up getting married and while I was in labor with our first son, he brought her home to live with us and she ran away.

He wants to get another one and I am sure that if we get a puppy she would be great with the kids we have but I am worried about their friends who come over.

Does anyone know anything about Rottweilers?

Susan0976

Asked by Susan0976 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pets

• Its not the dog that you can't trust, it's the kids! Kids sometimes do stupid things to dogs that cause bites, like taking things away or petting while the dog is eating. Don't let them do that! I have two Rottweilers, one male, one female, and they are great family pets. Loving, protective, forgiving. But you have to be the boss, or your dog will. They are bred to be take-charge kind of dogs, so you have to be willing to be the boss. It's really easy if you are getting a puppy. PM me if you'd like more info.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 7:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Rottweiler's are GREAT family dogs and very protective of it's family. If you get oe from a puppy it will LOVE you. The older one didnt like you because you were afraid and you were intruding on it's family.  They are not mean agressive animals unless you raise them to be that way.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• that said - you can never truly trust any dog around kids. Approach with Caution
    estherWSM

Answer by estherWSM at 7:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My mother in law had a Rottie & I was petrified of it! Hubby had me go into a room while the dog was in another room separated by a child's gate with his mom in the room with dog. He let him get used to my smell. Then after 3 months of coming over every week & having him see me, we let him out to see me. He loved me! It helped that I threw him treats. I was still scared!
    If you get a Rottie as a pup, you can raise him to be gentle BUT he will naturally be territorial & protective of family members.
    If friends come over, you may want to lock the dog in a room away from visitors to avoid any accidents. Better than taking a chance! It also helps to know the demeanor of the parents of the pup. If they're both aggressive, chances are the pup will be also. But most Rotties are territorial by instinct.
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 9:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• all dogs can b aggressive. plain and simple. it's the way u raise it. and most likely ur husband's rotwieler growled at u bc she thought u posed a threat 2 him. i've seen shows were the dog will b attachted 2 certain persons and if anyone else comes near them, they get aggressive. it's their way of telling u, back off, they're mine. it's the pack mentality showing, and you're not one of the pack. rotweilers are great dogs. u just have 2 b the pack leader and show it who is the dominant one in the house, which goes for all dogs.
    ireshgurl

Answer by ireshgurl at 12:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• my family had a rottweiler when i was about 3-8... (we eventually had to get rid of him because we were moving)... but he was an amazing family dog!! they are so good when you get them when they are puppies... we never had ANY problem with him he was so cuddly and playful and really smart! we taught him to play hide and seek! lol... :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I had a male rottweiler for many years. I got him at 5 weeks old and he was my heart. He was like my child. He did not have an aggressive bone in his body, but if he heard something strange, he would let me know. He was protective of me, but not overly protective. He did hear something once and cornered me in the bathroom and stuck his head out the door and barked like crazy, he wouldn't let me leave his sight for about 45 minutes. You have to socialize them with people, kids, and other animals young. I took him to the dog park quite often. He went every where with me.
    TiffanyNTrista

Answer by TiffanyNTrista at 3:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Dont do it, not just the breed of the dog, but come on you are going to have enough to do with a new baby you wont have time to train or take care of a dog, that is too much on you, tell him he has to wait till the baby is older.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• o also i have had a bf with a rottie and the dog was so proctetive of him he also would growl at me and once sat on me!!! they are too big and agressive to be around kids they will attach to one and dont see kids any diffrent and can hurt them.
    my sis had one and was fine for years but snapped at her 5yr old when the dog was about 6.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I agree with Kauna. Rott are great dogs. And in all the years of all the Rotts I have met I may have seen about 2 agressive Rotts. I have seen hell of alot more chihuahuas that are agressive not only to the owner but to the kids.
    Anonymous