Is it appropriate or disrespectful for a 13 yr old to call his father by his name?

My 13yr old stepson just recently started calling my husband by his name and a made up nickname. My husband's name is Jeff, my stepson has been calling him "Jeff" and "Jeffy" - My husband thinks it's funny. I think it's disrespectful. I know if our daughters (7 and 9)or my stepdaughter (19) called him either one of those names he would not appreciate it.

I think it's disrespectful for a minor child to call their biological parent by their first name, what are your thoughts?

texassahm

Asked by texassahm at 9:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It is disrespectful for a child to call any adult by their first name IN MY OPINION> Where I come from adults that are friends with the parents are usually referred to as Miss First Name or Mr. First name. It would never walk in my house.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma, I get called Miss Angie by my SIL and DIL .... here in cajun land it's a show of respect. I think it's really endearing, though I wouldn't mind if they just called me Angie.

It has a lot to do with where you are raised I guess and the motives behind it.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 10:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It depends on the attitude they use it and how they have been taught to think about it. If it is treated as okay than it is. If you have taught them that it is disrespectful than it is. Rules and expectations are what you are taught and experience.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:07 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I agree with you, it's disrespectful.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I also find it disrespectful. I guess it is just the way I was raise. My 2 yr old called his dad Brian and I hate it, but husband thinks it is okay.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My parents would have kicked my ass!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• IMO it s disrespectful if that parent is "there" for them and spending time with them...but if the biological party is uninvolved it's not a big deal. My younger brother calls his biological mother Sandy (her name) because he's been with us since he was just a little guy and my parents are his parents. if that makes sense to you.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 9:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• It depends on how the father feels about it. I've called my dad Scott for as long as I can remember, mostly because he has yet to earn the title of DAD. And I call my grandmother Mary, because she doesn't want anyone to know she old enough to have me as a granddaughter. My mother on the other hand, if I ever called her Corrina she would knock my teeth out. If my children choose to call me Sabrina, I won't have an issue with it, I don't see it as disrespectful, they are my equals. However, my mother, as I said, would see it as HIGHLY disrespectful...

So it depends on how the parent feels about things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree, if it's something your family views as disrespectful then you should put an end to it. A talk with your husband and son about it explaining how you feel about it might be the first place to start.
    I never had a problem being called by my first name by my children or grandchildren as long as it isn't some sort of show of disrespect. My grand daughter refers to me as "Grandma....dude..." at times which I think is on the line of being disrespectful, more so than calling me Angie. I just look at her with that look that says she needs to get a grip, I'm not one of her school chums.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 10:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my mom had a huge issue with my kids calling me by my first name, i didnt mind it at all, i think i actually prefer it. MOM is NOT my name.
    youlookin4me

Answer by youlookin4me at 10:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011