Poison Ivy! Itchy, itchy, itchy!

Anyone know any good treatments for poison ivy that actually work? We have an outbreak here on the old farmstead and the best I can find is Cortizone Cream and Benadril.

pinwheel

Asked by pinwheel at 10:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Health

• While not medically recommended we use bleach. clean the skin with it as soon as you can after exposure, then rinse with water. Or wipe down the infected area with a a diluted solution of bleach and water. Again, not medically recommended, but it works for us!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Doesn't the bleach burn your skin? And I am afraid where DH got his spread to, bleach is out of the question...OUtCH!!!

That's why you either wipe down with it, then rinse it off... or use it diluted. I usually use it to keep from getting infected.... while my DH uses it to treat. He says it stings, but it clears it up in like a day!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• the pink stuff!lol I can't remember what it i called but it always worked for us when we were kids. Oh and benydril is always good stuff
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

pinwheel

Comment by pinwheel (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• One of my daughter's Fancy Nancy books recommends something called Jewelweed.

I got it all the time growing up. I found the best thing once it got in the gooey stage was to swim. Chlorine helped. Probably along the same lines of using bleach like Crafty mentions.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I'm afraid we are past the initial period of contamination and just dealing with the rashes now, but will keep the bleach ready for next time.
    pinwheel

Comment by pinwheel (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Gold bond medicated cream. It will help tremendously.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• try some baking soda and vinegar
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• try making a paste of the baking soda and vinegar
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:51 AM on May. 1, 2011