my son is 13 and is failing in school. i just wnt some advice from someone who is going through this with a chil who has dhd.

who can help me?

palmisano

Asked by palmisano at 2:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• i dont think adhd has anything to do with a child failing school.

try working with him every night make sure you ask if he has homework right when het gets home from school and if he does make him sit somewhere calm and do it, and then check his work.
    if you need to, maybe you can sort something out with the teacher where she somehow notifies you of his homework he has everyday and you have to sign it or something...

have him find out if he can do some extra credit or something.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Does he have an IEP or Section 504 accommodations in place? Do you have a confirmed diagnosis of ADHD from a qualified individual (psychologist, psychiatrist, etc)? If so, his ADHD may qualify as a disability and there would be some sort of help offered to him to help him succeed in school. It can be a long, drawn out process and you have to educate yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Many children with ADHD also have comorbid learning difficulties. Request that your child have an IEP or a 504 hearing to work out a plan. Since he has ADHD he automatically qualifies and he can't be failed if they do not adhere to the educational plan that is made. You can also have the school psychologist test your child for any learning disabilites and the school is legally bound to pay for that. Put it in writting. If they tell you they can't - it is a lie. This evaluation will tell you more about your son's learning style and any learning discrepancies he may have. Many smart children have ADHD and they also have a learing difficulty. It happens more often than not.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• cont..Also check out a mental health counselor if possible. Many children who are living with ADHD also have depression because they feel like they are such a failure and everyone else is smarter than they are. Also if you were told over and over again how lazy you are after awhile it would get to you. Teens with ADHD usually have anxiety, frustration, and anger as well. Most people don't understand how complex and how much ADHD can affect the many areas of our life:social, emotional, mental, educational, family relationships... it really is very complicated. Good luck and I hope it works out for you and your child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• To KelsoBabeyy - you obviously don't have an ADHD child.

To the oP - I know that my son struggles every year. To keep him going, I have to be in constant contact with all of his teachers. It helps that we have online access to each and every paper they get a grade on. So I know immediately if he fails something. He hates it - I love it. LOL We have also had an extra set of books sent home. This year, our saving grace has been sports - No Pass No Play. Now that football season is over, we are having a hard time. This will continue until track starts. It is an ongoing battle, but we just keep fighting. We use grounding him - either from outside or from all electronics - but that doesn't really work. He doesn't really seem to care. Good luck to you. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 4:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Get him some good tutors. My son goes to the Boys and Girls club (its free) and one kid there is really good. My son was doing terrible in math but now he gets it. He said the kid that tutors him is really good. Turn off the tv, games, radio, ipod and make him sit and study. Get him flash cards for health and science glossary words etc. 

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There are different learning methods too find which one is his. I read a book on this. What helps my son is his memory opposite of me :( Thats why flash cards help him.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I dont have any answers just want to say Im going through the same thing. Fs in everything, He has an IEP and ive been in contact with all his teachers - they dont know how to handle him. Ive tried sitting and doing his homework for hours and he'll goof around till i lose my patience or he wont bring it home at all. After christmas break the school has a program called TASK and its to help them get their credits. Also I requested at his IEP that he has an aide help him in his math class- As far as I can tell she doesnt really help him because he is still getting an F. Anyway I think they need to have special schools for kids with ADHD because the teachers dont know how to handle it. Neither do I!!!
    argcwg

Answer by argcwg at 11:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I understand how you feel because I'm going through the exact same thing with our ten yr.old ds. Feel fee to pm me if you need to talk. Also, I just posted a journal tonight about this very same issue. Take a look at it when you get a chance.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• NOTE: Just because a child has ADHD does not mean he automatically qualifies for services, as stated above.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2008