Counseling?

My 5yo DD is a very active child. She has poor listening skills, struggles to stay on task, and is immature acting for her age. I brought up to her pediatrician at her 5yo check-up (February) that I was a little concerned about ADHD. He recommended waiting until she was 6 saying she could grow out of it. Fine.

She gets speech therapy through her pre-school class so she has an IEP. At the last meeting, it was brought up by the therapist and school psychologist that I should talk to her pediatrician about ADHD testing, I said I already had and he said wait, they said I should try again. Fine.

So I talked to him again yesterday and he said how teachers will sometimes want the more active children (the "disruptive ones," I assume) medicated to calm them, so they push ADHD. However, standing there watching her in the exam room, he couldn't deny that there is "something" there with DD, so he said that we could set her up with some counseling over the summer. Fine.

I know I should have asked, but I didn't think about it until I left the office...what does he mean "counseling?" Anyone been through something like this with their kids?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Counseling means seeing a child therapist. They may be able to figure out what's going on, or help her with her energy. Personally, I would try that first. Yes, she may have ADHD, but keep in mind that ADHD is highly over diagnosed and it's 100% true that schools will push a diagnosis so it's easier for them. Good luck.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Not speaking from experience but my guess would probably mean that she see a counselor to help determine if it's something that she can get help with through therapy (like learning to control her restless behavior, etc.) without automatically medicating. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Anonymous

• It's probably to observe her to see if she should be dx'd whit ADHD... here is a link with some info. Dig around here and you might find more info that will help you!!

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/how-is-adhd-diagnosed.shtml

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/index.shtml

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• but be aware diet only works in approx 6% of the population, so you may need a back up plan (speaking from experience)

Anonymous

• Have you looked into Sensory processing disorder? My son has been dx with SPD. It looks like ADHD, learning and attention disorders....easily treated. Many children who were born with poor prenatal care or exposure to alcholol or drugs have this disorder. Get a doctor to write a perscription for an Ocupational therapist in your area to do a sensory eval. You can also read Out Of Sync Child. Boring book unless you have a child dx. Hard to read b/c it can be technical. I would read after the dx. But I have often read your descriptions of your child and recognized the hints. OT has helped my four year old. He is getting the help he needs at school to focus and learn. It may be worth looking into. As a result of our intervention life has become easier for all of us. What threw everyone off track in our case was how "normal" he is. PM me if you want details.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:57 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My child is VERY active. We also thought ADHD. And you know I can dx as a therapist ADHD. He almost was dx with it. And it is possible to have both ADHD and SPD. I can't tell you how good it is to have an accurate dx. You can also google it and read stories of other parents. But school is going so much better and his focus, concentration, attention, impulsivity, and learning has improved with just knowing what to do. I will be more than glad to share personal details and treatment if you want more details. A doctor is not a child's bff when it comes to SPD. Neither are most counselors. I have been able to correctly refer only because my son lives with it. Most therapists can not recognize it or will tell you it is ADHD for sure. I strongly encourage you to look at it as an option. Many children live with this...few get properly dx. And SO treatable.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:05 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I would look into the Feingold Diet(google it). Many find they can treat adhd through diet instead of drugs. She is probably a Kinesthetic learner, she learns with her body.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2011