Do you think pets know when we're pregnant?

I am undecided. My LP says absolutely not.

Funny though, my cat was just trying to bury his face in my side and was getting kicked like crazy, so he tried to poke back. He looked so confused and was looking at me like "how do you do that?" LOL

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Pets

• Cute!!! They probably wonder what is in there.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I feel like pets (I have cats) are pretty keen on changes going on in their owner's lives. My cats act differently when I am sick and throughout my pregnancies. My cats both went CRAZY when I was in labor.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes they do! My SIL's dog became extra protective and when she was having contractions she didn't tell anyone because they were far apart but the dog gave her away because he sat next to her bed all night with his head in her lap! It was so sweet.
    tattooedmama126

Answer by tattooedmama126 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Cats&dogs
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i think so, before my SIL found out that she was prego her cat started acting weird it was always in her lap or laying on her belly. that was not like her cat to do that it didnt like to be held. i dont know if it knew but it was unusal anyway
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I am sure they sense/smell hormonal changes, so I would have to say yes, they do know. I mean, there are all sorts of studies now that they can detect cancer, too, so why not pregnancy?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• my dogs seemed to know my dil was prego, they never jumped on her or played rough.
    coffeeexpress

Answer by coffeeexpress at 11:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I definitely think so. I have a dog and she always got real protective of me when I was pregnant. Not letting me out of her sight when we're outside, she was always right there next to me if someone gave me a hug or something that involved touch, she would lay down next to me no matter where I sat. So yeah, I really think they can tell.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• yes they do. i had a cat who would give me extra attention when i was sick. when i was drunk she would stand by the bed and look at me then look at the door if she heard the slightest noise, then she would stare at me again. she would keep on staring until i fell asleep, almost like she was trying to protect me. may she live on..my baby..
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I think my cats did. all four wanted to cuddle the crap out of me when I was pregnant. same with my dog.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011